DPSC 8th Annual Awards Ceremony
On Monday, April 15, 2013, the Fairfax County Department of
Public Safety Communications (also known as Fairfax County 9-1-1
Center) will hold its 8th Annual Public Safety Telecommunicator
Promotions and Awards Ceremony at 6:30 p.m. at the Fairfax County Government Center . This event
recognizes the men and women of the DPSC that provide first class
public safety communication services to all of Fairfax County,
24/7/365. This event also kicks off Public Safety
Telecommunications Week in Fairfax County, which is celebrated
across the country from April 14-20. The Master of Ceremony for the
event will be PSC I Andi Cardenas-Fortich and the following twelve
awards will be presented:
- Director's Commendation: Awarded by the Director to any DPSC employee, group of employees or combination there-of, for an act or acts that materially contributes to the accomplishment of the agency mission or for an act or acts that warrants special recognition in the public interest.
- Richard King Award: Dedicated in the name of former Fairfax County Police Department Chief of Police and Fairfax County Executive, Richard King; this award recognizes a DPSC employee for their long time dedication and service to the Department of Public Safety Communications and to the ideals of Public Service.
- Exemplary Service Award: This award recognizes sustained, exemplary performance by an individual both within and outside the scope of their normally assigned responsibilities and done in a manner deserving of special recognition.
- Excellence in Support of the DPSC Mission Award: This category is to recognize a member of the DPSC Administration who provides exceptional assistance in the daily operations of the Center. Individuals eligible for this award should be from the following branches; Support Services Bureau, Information Systems Division, Budget and Procurement Division, Human Resources Division and Quality Assurance Section.
- Meritorious Action Award: This award is intended to recognize individuals or groups who have demonstrated truly exceptional proficiency, behavior and action in response to a specific situation of an emergency nature, as part of a routine event or as part of an ongoing or completed project or program of major significance to the DPSC. The individual or groups exceptional performance had to have had a direct impact on outcome and merit special recognition.
- "John R. Embrey" Excellence in Police Dispatch Award: The John R. Embrey Award was established to recognize excellence in the public safety specialty field of police dispatching.
- "Wesley Gerald"Excellene in Fire-Rescue/EMS Dispatch Award: The Wesley Gerald Excellence in Fire-Rescue/EMS Award was established to recognize excellence in the public safety specialty field of Fire-Rescue/EMS dispatching.
- "Millie Cumbie" Excellence in VCIN/NCIC Teletype Award: The Millie Cumbie Excellence in VCIN/NCIC Teletype Award was established to recognize excellence in the public safetyfield of VCIN/NCIC Teletype procedures.
- Excellence in DPSC Supervison: This award is intended to recognize a Lead or Assistant Supervisor that displays several of the traits and abilities associated with outstanding leadership on a daily basis.
- Excellence in Call-Taking: This category recognizes those employees who have demonstrated a high degree of proficiency in call taking.
- Excellene in Training: This award is designed for members who have served in the formal training function within the agency and have demonstrated dedication and exemplary performance. This category is NOT reserved for core trainers only and formal certifications are not necessary for consideration. Any employee that actively assists in the training program and excels is eligible. Examples include squad level trainers, PSCAD Instructors and EMD Instructors.
- DPSC "Rookie" of the Year: This category is to recognize members of the DPSC who have shown exceptional promise and made a significant impact to their squad and/or the DPSC in the first year of service (Less than and up to one year).