The Hypothermia Prevention Program is a partnership among Fairfax County government, adult shelters, and various faith, volunteer and civic organizations. Individuals in need of shelter during this time should contact the nearest adult shelter to make arrangements for shelter in one of the hypothermia shelter sites. The No Turn Away policy will be in effect beginning November 1st.
This year, Health Dept. nurse practitioners will be providing free flu shots for all clients who wish to receive one.
· Bailey’s Crossroads Community Shelter (open Dec 1 - Mar 31; opens 4:00 pm each evening) - 3525 Moncure Ave, Falls Church. Contact Mario Wright at firstname.lastname@example.org or (703) 820-7621.
· Embry Rucker Community Shelter (open Nov 1 - Mar 31; opens 5:00 pm each evening) - 11975 Bowman Towne Drive, Reston. Contact Ken Hinkel at Ken.Hinkel@cornerstonesva.org or (703) 437-1975; Vincent Jenkins at Vincent.email@example.com or (703) 437-1975.
· Eleanor Kennedy Community Shelter (Dec 1 - Mar 31; 6:30 pm - 7:00 am) - 9155 Richmond Hwy, Alexandria (Ft. Belvoir). Contact Tonya Golden at firstname.lastname@example.org or at (703) 799-0200.
· FACETS' Shelter (open Nov 29 - Mar 31) - Various locations around the county at faith community hosting sites. Contact Barbara Schultheiss at email@example.com or (703) 352-5090.
· New Hope Housing and Rising Hope UMC (Dec 1 - Mar 31; 6:30 pm - 7:00 am) - 8220 Russell Road, Alexandria. Contact Sherry Edelkamp at firstname.lastname@example.org or at (703) 799-0200.
· Friends of Falls Church Homeless Shelter (Nov 15 to Mar 31) - 217 Gordon Road, Falls Church. Contact Tonya Golden at email@example.com or at (703) 799-0200.
For families with children:
During business hours (8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.), contact: Coordinated Services Planning at 703-222-0880; TTY 703-803-7914.
A CSP representative will conduct an interview with the family to determine eligibility for shelter or other emergency services and make the necessary referrals.
After business hours:
After business hours, families with children in need of shelter should go directly to the nearest family shelter. Phone numbers and addresses for year-round shelters.
Back to top