Become a Shelter Volunteer
**Please Note: We are not accepting general volunteer applications at this time. The volunteer opportunities will be posted here and on the Fairfax County Animal Shelter Facebook page as they become available. Follow the shelter on Facebook and you can see where we need help!
We currently are looking for small animal handlers, experienced dog trainers/behaviorists and volunteers to do events and educational programs at the shelter. E-mail ASDVolunteer@fairfaxcounty.gov to learn more about current openings.
Examples of volunteer positions include:
- Cat socialization and enrichment
- Dog enrichment, training, and exercise
- Small animal caregiver
- Dog playgroup assistant
- Shelter greeter
- Administrative assistant
- Adoption/intake counselor
- Telephone assistant
- Humane educator - conduct tours, attend events and more!
- Wildlife education volunteer
What are the requirements to volunteer?
- Must be 18 years of age
- Must be able to lift 20 pounds
- Must commit to at least six hours per month, every month, for at least six months
- Must commit to treat all animals and people with respect and kindness