Become a Shelter Volunteer
**Please Note: We are not accepting general volunteer applications at this time. The volunteer opportunities will be posted here and on the Fairfax County Animal Shelter Facebook page as they become available. Follow the shelter on Facebook and you can see where we need help!
We are currently looking for experienced small animal room volunteers who are comfortable handling rabbits, guinea pigs, hamsters, rats, birds, and snakes, and have availability during the week from noon - 7 p.m. Email ASDVolunteer@fairfaxcounty.gov to learn more about current openings.
What are the requirements to volunteer?
- Must be 18 years of age
- Must be able to lift 20 pounds
- Must commit to at least six hours per month, every month, for at least six months
- Must commit to treat all animals and people with respect and kindness
Examples of volunteer positions include:
- Cat socialization and enrichment
- Dog enrichment, training, and exercise
- Small animal caregiver
- Dog playgroup assistant
- Shelter greeter
- Administrative assistant
- Adoption/intake counselor
- Telephone assistant
- Humane educator - conduct tours, attend events and more!
- Wildlife education volunteer