What are some new trends in parks that may be coming to Fairfax?
John Dargle, Jr
Here are some trends that come to mind…
· Pay for Play – unfortunately, due to extreme funding stresses this is becoming more prevalent nationwide.
· Sustainable design – for budgetary and environmental reasons this is becoming more common in both designing new facilities and retro-fitting old.
· Fitness/community wellness – more people are becoming interested in healthy living, parks play a part. Constantly updating our fitness offerings (BodyPump is example of latest) and becoming more involved with community wellness (Take12 Fitness).
· Turf fields – need for maximizing use per field to make limited resources go farther and improved playing conditions has spurred this trend.
· Trails – some oldies, but goodies never go away. Trails are among highest used portions of park system in every community in the country.
· Kids programs explosion – even during recession, summer camp programs in particular continued to expand in popularity. The Park Authority has more than 100 summer camp experiences (double what we had a decade ago) to keep up with parents’ demand for variety.
· Outdoor adventure – We are trying with expanded water offerings at Riverbend Park (kayaks, canoes), mountain bike trails, high ropes course, and adventure racing!