2012 Public Safety Bond
Of the total, $35 million will go towards the fire stations, and $20 million will pay to renovate courtrooms.
- Baileys Crossroads Volunteer Fire Station ($9 million)
- Jefferson Fire Station ($14 million)
- Herndon Fire Station ($12 million)
During the 2010 blizard, the roof collapsed on the Baileys station, and the small, outdated building no longer meets current space and operational requirements.
At almost 48 years old, the Jefferson station lacks sufficient space for apparatus and equipment for the Technical Rescue Operations Team, as well as adequate accommodations for female personnel.
The Herndon station's aparatus bay is too small for fire trucks and equipment, and staffing is limited at this station due its small size.
Bond funds will be used to renovate 22 courtrooms, nine General District Court and 13 for the Circuit Court. These rooms have been in constant use since the 1980s, and the renovations will:
- Improve security
- Fix walls, ceilings, ducts, and lighting
- Make required American with Disabilies Act upgrades
- Upgrade techonology for digital evidence presentation, video arraingments, and remote witness testimony