The Dulles Corridor Metrorail Project is a 23-mile extension of Metro rail that will connect Tysons Corner, Reston, Herndon and Washington Dulles International Airport to the rest of the DC metro region. The Silver Line extension will include 11 new Metro stations, including four in Tysons Corner.
Chairman Sharon Bulova worked to guarantee the Silver Line included stops in Reston and Herndon so that Fairfax County residents got the most out of the project. The Silver Line will ensure that Fairfax County is permanently connected to the DC metro region.
The project is split into two phases. The first phase includes service from Falls Church to Wiehle Avenue and is planned to be completed in 2013. Construction of the second phase, from Wiehle Avenue to Dulles Airport with stations planned at Route 28, Herndon Monroe and Reston Parkway, is expected to be completed in 2016.
For information on construction, lane closures, station designs and traffic impacts (including Routes 123 and 7 in Tysons), visit the Dulles Corridor Metrorail Project or Virginia Megaprojects websites, or call the Dulles Corridor Metrorail Projectconstruction hotline at 1-877-585-6789.
- Dulles Rail Funding Agreement Protects Fairfax County Taxpayers, Toll Road Users
- Chairman Bulova: Dulles Rail 'absolutely' moving forward
- Washington Post Opinion: A reckless plan to put a Metro station underground at Dulles
- Washington Post: At Dulles, Bulova walks the walk from ‘station’ to airport
- Patch.com: Sharon Bulova Pushes for Alternative Location for Dulles Airport Metro Station
- Press Release: Chairman Bulova Says MWAA Must Cover Expected Cost Increase For Dulles Station
- Board Matters: Dulles Express Shuttle Service
- Dec. 6 Board Action, Text of Memorandum of Agreement
- Fairfax Board Endorsement of USDOT White Paper, Text of White Paper
- April 18 Letter From Chairman Bulova, Chairman York and Secretary Connaughton to MWAA on Station Alignment Decision
- Feb. 25, 2011 Letter From Chairman Bulova to MWAA on Phase II Design, Funding
- Chairman Sharon Bulova on the Creation of the Phase II Tax District for Rail to Dulles
- Tysons Comprehensive Plan