telephone  Contact DCC

703-324-1300, TTY 711

Monday - Thursday:  8 a.m. - 4 p.m.
Friday:  9:15 a.m. - 4 p.m.

12055 Government Center Parkway
Suite 1016
Fairfax, VA 22035

exclamation point in box  Submit Complaint

magnifying glass  Complaint History

ConstructionPermits are often required to build, clear land or dump dirt. This is intended to protect residents and neighborhoods from unsafe construction, as well as safeguard our environment.

Even if a building permit is not required, you must comply with Zoning regulations.  Please call 703-222-1082, TTY 711, to speak to a Zoning technician.

Contact the Department of Code Compliance if you see building or land clearing without a permit or if you have a complaint about an unlicensed contractor.

Unlicensed Contractors

To make a complaint about a potentially unlicensed contractor:

Before hiring a contractor, check to make sure they are licensed:

Also consider checking out contractors in the county’s consumer complaints database

Unpermitted Construction

Fairfax County requires a building permit for most new residential and commercial construction. Typical home improvement projects that require a permit include: 

Learn more about when a building permit is required, or call the Permit Application Center, Department of Public Works and Environmental Services, 703-222-0801, TTY 711.

Unpermitted Land Disturbance

To clear land, dig up dirt or dump fill dirt, a county permit may be needed. A site permit, grading plan and conservation deposit are required for any project that will disturb 2,500 square feet or more of land.

When is a permit needed?

Most projects do not need permits and plans, including:

  • Gardening or landscaping at home.
  • Installing a fence, post or sign (a building permit may be required).
  • Digging for individual sewer or water connections.

Typical projects that may disturb 2,500 square feet of land include:

  • Building an addition to your home.
  • Building a large garage or carport.
  • Installing a paved driveway or in-ground swimming pool.

Clues to possible illegal land disturbance:

  • The activity takes place before 7 a.m. or after 7 p.m. or on weekends.
  • There is no company name on the construction vehicles or equipment.
  • There is no advertising sign for the construction company doing the work at the site.
  • The land is being cleared without surveyor’s flags on trees.
  • There is no construction entrance next to the road (eg. an area of stone and gravel placed to keep mud off of streets).

Contact Fairfax County: Phone, Email or Twitter | Main Address: 12000 Government Center Parkway, Fairfax, VA 22035
Technical Questions: Web Administrator

ADA Accessibility | Website Accessibility
Awards | FOIA | Mobile | Using this Site | Web Disclaimer & Privacy Policy | Get Adobe Reader
Official site of the County of Fairfax, Virginia, © Copyright 2015

Website Feedback Website Feedback    Globe with various flags representing Web site language translations   Language Translations

Return to Graphic Version