Building Lots & Land Use

telephone  Contact DCC

703-324-1300, TTY 711

Monday - Thursday:  8 a.m. - 4 p.m.
Friday:  9:15 a.m. - 4 p.m.

12055 Government Center Parkway
Suite 1016
Fairfax, VA 22035

exclamation point in box  Submit Complaint

magnifying glass  Complaint History

Land UseThe county’s zoning and other rules help to maintain the character and quality of life in our neighborhoods. Contact the Department of Code Compliance if you have complaints about fences, sheds, home businesses, or other issues.

Accessory Structures

County rules allow accessory structures on residential properties, including:

However, these structures must meet with county rules on setbacks, location and permits.

To learn more about these rules:

  • Allowable accessory structures, setback, and location: Contact the Zoning Resource Planner, Department of Planning and Zoning Ordinance Administration Branch, 703-324-1314, TTY 711, or or read the county’s Zoning Ordinance (Chapter 10, Section 102) PDF
  • Building permits: Contact the Permit Application Center, Department of Public Works and Environmental Services, 703-222-0801, TTY 711, or get information online about when a building permit is required


Generally, on most residential lots:

  • Fences may be up to four feet tall in front yards.
  • Fences may be up to seven feet tall in rear or side yards.
  • Under certain circumstances, fences may be up to eight feet tall if built along a major thoroughfare, like the Fairfax County Parkway. (To find out if a street is considered a thoroughfare, call the Ordinance Administration Branch, Department of Planning and Zoning, 703-324-1314, TTY 711.)

For specific information about allowable fence heights on your property, call the Zoning Permit Review Branch, Department of Planning and Zoning, 703-222-1082, TTY 711.

Get a special permit for a taller fence
It is possible to build taller fences if you apply for a special permit PDF. Contact the Zoning Evaluation Division, Department of Planning and Zoning, 703-324-1290, TTY 711, for more information about the special permit process. 

When a building permit is needed
Building permits generally are not required for fences except those used as a barrier around a swimming pool or required for pedestrian safety.  Verify height requirements with Zoning Permit Review Branch at 703-222-1082, TTY 711.

Other requirements
There also may be additional requirements if the fence is built in a Resource Protection Area or storm drainage easement. Contact Land Development Services, Department of Public Works and Environmental Services, 703-324-1720, TTY 711, about RPAs and the Stormwater Management Division, 703-877-2800, TTY 711, about easements.

Home Businesses

Some kinds of home businesses are allowed with Home Occupation Permit, but clients or customers may not come to the house — with the exception of a licensed child care business and teachers, such as dance or piano instructors.

  • Home businesses may not display signs or store, display or sell goods on the property.
  • Repair and service businesses, such as car repair, car detailing or barbers, are prohibited.
  • You may need county permits or licenses to operate a home business.

For more information on how to get a Home Occupation Permit, call the Zoning Permit Review Branch, Department of Planning and Zoning, 703-222-1082, TTY 711.

Contact Fairfax County: Phone, Email or Twitter | Main Address: 12000 Government Center Parkway, Fairfax, VA 22035
Technical Questions: Web Administrator

ADA Accessibility | Website Accessibility
Awards | FOIA | Mobile | Using this Site | Web Disclaimer & Privacy Policy | Get Adobe Reader
Official site of the County of Fairfax, Virginia, © Copyright 2015

Website Feedback Website Feedback    Globe with various flags representing Web site language translations   Language Translations

Return to Graphic Version