Property Maintenance

Telephone  Contact Us

  • 703-324-1300, TTY 711
Monday - Thursday 8 a.m. - 4 p.m.
Friday 9:15 a.m. - 4 p.m.

Complaint  Submit Complaint

Search  Complaint History

Property MaintenanceHomes and properties must be well maintained both inside and outside, according to the Property Maintenance Code . To keep neighborhoods safe, healthy and vibrant, there also are county rules about everything from broken windows in homes to uncut grass and junk in the yard.


Learn about the blight abatement program, including how to report blight.

Damaged Property

Homes and other buildings are required to be kept in good repair and sound condition both inside and outside. Common problems with property maintenance include broken windows, falling gutters and missing siding.

For more information, call the Department of Code Compliance, 703-324-1300, TTY 711.

Grass Height

Uncut grass cannot be higher than 12 inches on developed residential properties that are half an acre or less. (Other rules apply to undeveloped and commercial properties).

Based on complaints, the county may have tall grass at a home cut at the homeowner’s expense, and this may take 30 days or more once a complaint is received.

Because the county's program to deal with uncut grass is seasonal, complaints are only accepted from April 1 to mid-October during the most active grass-growing season.

Junk and Debris in the Yard

County rules allow unwanted items to be stored outside in the yard, but they must be put in the rear half of the property. They also must be screened from view from the first-story window of nearby homes. The storage area cannot exceed 100 square feet on most residential properties.

For more information, call the Department of Code Compliance, 703-324-1300, TTY 711.


In locations where it is not possible to drain standing water, such as unused swimming pools and gutters, the public can use an environmentally safe larvicide. This product kills mosquitoes at the larval stage, which is before they become flying insects. It targets mainly mosquitoes, so it will not harm people, pets, fish, or plants.

The county’s Health Department investigates complaints about mosquitoes, as well as provides advice about controlling mosquitoes. Call 703-246-8931, TTY 711. 

Overcrowding / Boarding Houses

You may know overcrowding when you see it. It is illegal to operate a boarding house without the proper permits. However, the county’s zoning, building and safety codes define how many people can live in a house, how much space they need and what’s considered safe.


Trash bags may only be put out at the curb 12 hours before they are picked up, but trash cans and recycling bins may be put out at the curb 24 hours before pickup. However, many homeowners associations have stricter rules about when trash can be put out at the curb.

Trash companies do not normally pick up large, bulky items, such as mattresses, furniture or fallen trees. You can ask your trash company to pick up these kinds of items for an extra fee. It is a homeowner’s responsibility to make sure these items are picked up.

If trash is left at the curb for more than 10 days, call the Health Department at 703-246-2300, TTY 711. The county will investigate the complaint and collect the trash if the property owner does not comply with directives to remove it.

Contact Fairfax County: Phone, Email or Twitter | Main Address: 12000 Government Center Parkway, Fairfax, VA 22035
Technical Questions: Web Administrator

ADA Accessibility | Website Accessibility
Awards | FOIA | Mobile | Using this Site | Web Disclaimer & Privacy Policy | Get Adobe Reader
Official site of the County of Fairfax, Virginia, © Copyright 2016

Website Feedback Website Feedback    Globe with various flags representing Web site language translations   Language Translations

Return to Graphic Version