Fairfax Connector Implements Changes in Centreville, Reston
January 12, 2010
Effective Sunday, Jan. 17, Fairfax Connector will be adding trips, adjusting routes and schedules, splitting RIBS 4 and creating a new route RIBS 5 as an effort to better serve passenger needs and improve the on-time performance of existing routes. The affected routes include: RIBS 1, 2, 3, 4, and Routes 642 and 644. Additionally, bus bay assignments at Reston Transit Station will change, and minor routing adjustments around Reston Town Center will be made to routes 505, 605, and 950.
Following is a summary of the changes:
RIBS 4 will be split into two routes: the new RIBS 4 will provide service to and from Reston Town Center and north Reston, and the new RIBS 5 will provide service to and from Reston Town Center and Herndon.
Service on the easternmost segment of RIBS 4 will be eliminated. The portion of the route which will no longer be served by RIBS 4 includes North Shore Drive and Wiehle Ave. east of Reston Pkwy. and south of Baron Cameron Ave. Service along this segment of the route will continue to be provided by RIBS 1, 3 and routes 552, 554 and 574.
To ensure the buses keep on schedule, all RIBS routes will be modified by:
- Removing door-to-door service to village centers, fellowship houses and shopping centers in the peak AM and PM periods. Service will remain available adjacent to these locations.
- Removing RIBS 1 and 2 from Hunters Woods Fellowship House.
- Reducing service to USGS on RIBS 3.
All RIBS buses will continue to operate on 30-minute headways.
Routes 642 and 644:
- Combined Route 642/644 service frequency between Vienna Metro and Centreville (Stone Rd.) Park and Ride will be increased to approximately 12 minutes during AM and PM peak periods.
- Service to Sully Station Drive will be added to Route 642.
- An additional Route 642 westbound reverse-commute trip will be added that includes stops on Lee Road and Conference Center Drive, departing at 8:35 a.m.
Routes 505, 605, and 950:
- Minor routing changes around the Reston Transit Station will be made to routes 505, 605, and 950.
Reston Transit Station:
- Bus routes at Reston Transit Station will be moved to different bus bays (passenger loading/unloading areas) to facilitate smoother transfers between routes. New bus bay assignments are as follows: Bay A – Route 950, Bay B – Route 605, Bay C – RIBS 1, Bay D – RIBS 2, Bay E – RIBS 3, Bay F – RIBS 4, Bay G – RIBS 5, Bay H – Route 505, Bay J – open, Bay K – Route 574. The new bus bay assignments can also be viewed online at www.fairfaxconnector.com, or look for information posted at each bus bay.
To view the new route maps and schedules for these service changes, and to see the new bus bay assignments at Reston Transit Station, please visit www.fairfaxconnector.com. The new timetables also are available on-board buses and in Connector Stores.
For information about this news item, contact Ellen Kamilakis at 703-877-5606, TTY 711.