Fairfax Connector Implements Fare Increase
June 15, 2010
Effective Sunday, Jun. 27, Fairfax Connector will implement changes resulting from measures approved by the Board of Supervisors to address the county’s fiscal year 2011 budget shortfall. Changes will include an increase to the base bus fare to $1.50 if paying by SmarTrip® card and $1.70 if paying by cash. Additionally, the number of stand-by buses will be reduced.
Fairfax Connector fare changes:
- The regular base fare will increase to $1.50 if paying by SmarTrip® card and $1.70 if paying by cash. Currently, the base fare is $1.25 with SmarTrip® and $1.35 with cash.
- Senior and disabled fare will increase to 75 cents if paying by SmarTrip® card and 85 cents if paying by cash. Currently, the senior/disabled fare is 65 cents with either SmarTrip® or cash.
- The Transportation Association of Greater Springfield (TAGS) bus fare will increase to 50 cents with either SmarTrip® card or cash. The current fare is 35 cents.
- The fare for express routes 380D, 480 (Wolf Trap Express), 595 and 597 will not change.
- Bus-to-bus transfers using a SmarTrip® card will be valid for up to 2 hours instead of 3 hours.
Included in Fairfax Connector's 2011 budget is an approximate reduction of 75 percent of the number of strategic or stand-by buses used to cover delays in service or heavy passenger loads. Riders may notice delays to scheduled service with the reduction in stand-by buses.
For information regarding Fairfax Connector fares or bus service, visit www.fairfaxconnector.com or call the telephone information center at 703-339-7200, TTY 703-339-1608.
For information about this news item, contact Ellen Kamilakis at 703-877-5606, TTY 711.