Fairfax Connector Seeks Feedback on Proposed Service Changes
July 26, 2017
Fairfax Connector proposes service adjustments for implementation in September 2017 to improve the customer experience through increased on-time performance, improved service reliability and reduced crowding. In order to serve the greatest number of riders as effectively as possible, improvements target high-ridership corridors and partially address the elimination of Metrobus 2T.
Proposal Highlights (all proposed changes by route listed below):
- Reroute Route 171 between Pohick and Telegraph Roads to take advantage of new traffic signal at Whernside Street and Telegraph Road;
- Adjust arrival times on Fairfax Connector Routes 231 and 232 to improve transfer opportunities with Routes 321,322 and 373;
- Increase span of service and frequency on Routes 321 and 322;
- Eliminate Bland Street diversion on Routes 321 and 322;
- Extend Routes 321 and 322 on Industrial Drive to serve the Amazon facility;
- Restructure Route 333 service as Routes 340 and 341, maintaining service to Patriot Ridge and extending service to Boston Boulevard;
- Implement minor schedule revisions to Route 334 to interline with new Routes 340 and 341;
- Add a Route 335 morning trip departing at 6:00 a.m. from Franconia – Springfield Metrorail Station;
- Address travel demands for Route 395 by eliminating some morning trips from Backlick North Park & Ride, as well as some afternoon trips to Gambrill Road Park & Ride;
- Reroute Route 462 onto Prosperity Avenue and Hilltop Road to address elimination of Metrobus 2T;
- Reroute Route 463 on Gosnell Road and Leesburg Pike to address elimination of Metrobus 2T; and
Revise Route 551 schedule to address afternoon crowding issues
related to ridership to/from South Lakes High School.
We Want to Hear From You! Opportunities for Public Comment
Fairfax Connector will host two outreach events to explain the proposed changes and take comments from the public:
Tuesday, August 8, 2017; 6 - 8 p.m. (7 p.m. presentation)
- Edison High School Cafeteria
- 5801 Franconia Road, Alexandria
- Transit access: Fairfax Connector 109, 231, 232, 321, 322, 310
Thursday, August 10, 2017; 6 - 8 p.m. (7 p.m. presentation)
- Stenwood Elementary School Cafeteria
- 2620 Gallows Road, Vienna
- Transit access: Fairfax Connector 401, 402
Feedback will be recorded at the meeting and attendees can submit written comment forms. Interested riders who cannot attend either meeting may view the public presentation and submit comments online or call 703-339-7200, TTY 711.
**Public comments and feedback will be accepted until 5 p.m.
on Thursday, August 24, 2017.**
Route 171 – Richmond Highway
- Reroute onto Whernside Street between Pohick and Telegraph Roads to take advantage of new traffic signal at Whernside and Telegraph.
- Eliminate Bland Street route diversion.
- Expand the span of service to operate late evenings and improve headways.
- Feature 20 to 30 minute headways Monday through Friday, 30 to 60 minute headways Saturday, and 60 minute headways Sunday.
- Weekend service improvements: all trips after 8:00 p.m. on weekdays and 6:00 p.m. on weekends, including the proposed new late evening trips, would bypass the Industrial Road and Commercial Drive area, where there is no demand for service at these times.
- Extend service along Industrial Drive to the new Amazon facility.
Route 333 – Patriot Ridge – Saratoga
- Restructure existing route to reduce pattern complexity for riders.
- Route 333 will be replaced by two new routes Route 340 (Patriot Ridge – Saratoga) and Route 341 (Boston Boulevard – Saratoga) that will service the current route pattern.
- Time interval between buses will be approximately 25 to 30 minutes on weekdays and approximately 30 minutes on Saturdays.
- Maintain AM and PM rush hour VRE connections at Franconia-Springfield; serve Patriot Ridge and Boston Boulevard.
Route 334 – Newington Circulator
- Minor schedule adjustments to align service with new Routes 340 and 341.
Route 335 – Fort Belvoir "The Eagle"
- Add a morning trip departing at 6:00 a.m. from Franconia-Springfield Metrorail Station, in response to rider input.
Route 395 – Springfield – Pentagon
- To better handle current travel demand, some morning trips will not serve Backlick North Park & Ride and some afternoon trips will terminate at Backlick Park & Ride and not serve Gambrill Road Park & Ride.
Route 462 – Dunn Loring – Navy Federal – Tysons
- Reroute onto Prosperity Avenue and Hilltop Road to address elimination of Metrobus 2T. Maintains service to Vienna Park Apartments.
Route 463 – Maple Avenue – Vienna
- Reroute onto Gosnell Road to address elimination of Metrobus 2T, providing access to Tysons Tower Apartments.
Route 551 – South Lakes Drive
Shorten headways on some afternoon trips to 30 minutes to address
crowding associated with South Lakes High School ridership
For More Information on Fairfax Connector Service
- Visit www.fairfaxconnector.com
- Call 703-339-7200, TTY 703-339-1608 (Monday - Friday, 5 a.m. to 10 p.m.; Saturday - Sunday, 7 a.m. to 9 p.m.)
- Visit a Connector Store
- Follow us on Twitter & Facebook