Fairfax Connector New Rider Tutorial
- Use exact fare; drivers do not carry change
- No pennies
- No Smoking, eating or drinking on the bus
- Smoking in bus shelters is strictly prohibited by County Ordinance §44-1-2.1
- Strollers must be folded on the bus
- Use earphones with radios and other electronic devices
- Service animals are permitted on the bus
- Other small animals are permitted only if transported in a secure container
- Wait for the bus at any bus stop along your route. Make sure you are on the side of the street with traffic going in the direction you want to travel.
- Get to your bus stop about five minutes before the bus is expected to arrive.
- Some bus stops have benches or shelters. While you're waiting, make sure you stand or sit where the bus driver can see you.
- Some bus stops are served by more than one route. As the bus approaches, check the route number and destination located on the sign above the windshield.
- When you see your bus, give the driver a wave to let them know you want to board. You will need to pay your fare at the time you board the bus.
- Fairfax Connector's buses offer a low-floor design or are equipped with a lift to ease the boarding process. All buses are wheelchair lift-equipped.
- Move quickly and carefully to your seat after boarding. Public transportation drivers are not required to wait until passengers are seated before they move the bus - they must keep to a schedule.
- Exit the bus from the rear door and wait until the bus passes to cross the street. This helps the boarding process go smoothly and keeps you safe.
There are several ways to pay your fare: SmarTrip cards, cash, or a bus
- Cash: To pay your fare, place your U.S. coins (except pennies) or bills in the farebox when you board. Have your money in hand and, if paying a reduced fare, ID card ready (bus drivers are instructed to ask to see ID cards for discounted cash fares) to show the bus operator when you board. Bus drivers cannot make change, if you pay more than your fare you will not receive change. Fairfax Connector fareboxes do NOT accept pennies.
- Bus Passes: Bus passes are another payment option for Connector service. To purchase a bus pass, visit a Connector Store or other sales outlet.
If you use more than one bus to reach your destination, use a SmarTrip card to receive a free bus-to-bus transfer within a two hour period. No transfers are provided with cash fare payment.
- When you are near your destination (about a block away), pull the cord stop bell along the side windows. This will signal the driver to stop at the next bus stop.
- Please exit at the rear door. For your safety, wait until the bus passes before crossing the street.
- If your bike is on the bike rack, please exit through the front door and tell the driver just before you exit the bus that you will be retreiving your bike.