Fairfax Connector buses accept SmarTrip cards as fare payment. Please note that SmarTrip fareboxes will not accept pennies, so be sure to have a SmarTrip card or the correct currency when boarding.
To purchase a SmarTrip card or for general information please visit the Washington Metropolitan Area Transit Authority – or Metro - web site at www.wmata.com/fares/smartrip/. To report a lost, stolen, damaged or defective SmarTrip card please call (888) 762-7874. A replacement charge of $5 will be charged.
If the Quick Guide to SmarTrip below doesn't address all of your questions, please see our SmarTrip FAQ's page.
Quick Guide to SmarTrip Usage
SmarTrip on the Bus
To use your SmarTrip card, simply touch it to the target on the top of the Fairfax Connector farebox. The correct fare (including transfer discount, if applicable) is automatically deducted.
Registering your SmarTrip card
Please register your card. It's the only way we can help you with any issues you may have with your card. More importantly, if you lose a registered card, you don't lose the value. For a $5 replacement fee, we'll issue you a new card with the value on the card at the time you notified us that it was lost. But you must register your card. If you purchased your card online or by mail, it is already registered. If not, you can register online using Metro's SmarTrip Card Registration Form.
Points to Remember
- Your SmarTrip card is rechargeable and can hold up to $300 in value.
- A SmarTrip card is used on Metrorail, Metrobus, and Fairfax Connector buses. It's the only way to pay for parking at Metro-operated lots. During the week (through 3 a.m. Friday nights) there is a daily parking fee. A SmarTrip card with full parking fee is required to enter or exit Metro lots and garages. Cash is not accepted.
- You may transfer onto your SmarTrip card value of a farecard or Metrochek. Each trade-in requires a separate transaction.
- If your employer offers Metrochek, the value of your Metrochek benefit can be loaded onto your SmarTrip card using SmartBenefits. Ask your employer about it.
- When adding value, remember that your transaction begins and ends with a touch of your SmarTrip card to the circular target.
- The value of a registered card that is lost, stolen or damaged can be replaced. Monetary refunds are not available.
- For SmarTrip customer service, call 1-888-SMARTRIP (762-7874) (TTY 703-620-8782) or e-mail email@example.com.