Back to School Savings
The new school year has arrived! The tips listed below will help you avoid spending too much money on clothes, shoes, backpacks, notebooks, paper, pencils, etc.
• Start by shopping at home- take inventory of what your family already owns.
• Start looking for bargains- look for clearance sales and coupons. Stock up for the entire year to save money on school supplies.
• Go to a dollar store- there are large selection of paper products at a real savings.
• Shop at garage sales, thrift stores, and consignment shops- it takes a little legwork, but can be a great place to save.
• Remember Internet sites- eBay and craigslist can provide potential savings on designer brands.
• Set ground rules for clothes shopping- choose clothing that will give your child room to grow. Purchase clothing that is easy to mix and match and less likely to look dated over time.
• Buy the right backpack- kids should only carry 20% of their own weight. Backpack should have wide padded shoulder straps.
• Don’t overspend on technology- look for sales on computers/laptops for your child’s homework assignments and make sure it is functional, durable, and cost less.
• Purchase the right type calculator- Invest in a good one that will take care of your child’s needs for many years.
• Teach important money lessons- back to school sales are a great way to save and to teach your child the importance of saving money, budgeting, and needs vs. wants.