Back to School Savings Podcast Transcript
Welcome to the Informed Consumer, providing the latest tips and tools to assist consumers in making informed decisions, from the Fairfax County Consumer Affairs Branch.
Today’s topic: Back to School Savings.
The new school year has arrived! The following tips will help you avoid spending too much money on clothes, shoes, backpacks, notebooks, paper, pencils, and all other back to school supplies.
• Start by shopping at home- take inventory of what your family already owns.
• Start looking for bargains- look for clearance sales and coupons. Stock up for the entire year to save money on school supplies.
• Go to a dollar store- there are large selections of paper products at real savings.
• Shop at garage sales, thrift stores, and consignment shops- it takes a little legwork, but these can be great places to save.
• Remember Internet sites- eBay and craigslist can provide potential savings on designer brands.
• Set ground rules for clothes shopping- choose clothing that will give your child room to grow. Purchase clothing that is easy to mix and match and less likely to look dated over time.
• Buy the right backpack- kids should only carry 20% of their own weight. Backpacks should have wide padded shoulder straps.
• Don’t overspend on technology- look for sales on computers and laptops for your child’s homework assignments and make sure they are functional, durable, and cost less.
• Purchase the right type calculator- Invest in a good one that will take care of your child’s needs for many years.
• Teach important money lessons- back to school sales are a great way to save and to teach your child the importance of saving money, budgeting, and needs vs. wants.
Thanks for listening to the Informed Consumer. For more information on this topic or if you feel that you’ve been a victim of a scam, please contact the Consumer Affairs Branch at 703-222-8435 or visit our web site at www.fairfaxcounty.gov/consumer. Informed Consumer is produced by the Fairfax County, Virginia, government.