Precious Metal and Gem Dealer Permits
Chapter 33 of the Fairfax County Code requires that a dealer purchasing precious metals or gems (PMG) from the public must obtain a permit. PMG dealer permits are issued by the Regulation and Licensing Branch.
All applicants must appear in person at 12000 Government Center Parkway, Suite 127, Fairfax VA 22035 to apply. Applications are accepted Monday-Friday, 8:00am to 4:00pm.
The following are required by the Regulation and Licensing Branch to apply for a Precious Metal and Gem Dealer permit:
- Application and Release of Personal Information form; signed and notarized. Notary services are provided during the application process at no charge to applicants.
- Valid, unexpired state-issued picture identification.
- Applicants who were born outside the United States must provide valid, unexpired proof of employment authorization such as a Permanent Resident Card, Employment Authorization Card or proof of US citizenship.
- Applicants who live or have lived outside of Virginia in the past 12 months must provide a state background check from their state of residence (other than Virginia, normally available through the state police.
- Copy of Fairfax County Business, Professional and Occupational License (BPOL) from Fairfax County Department of Tax Administration.
- Copy of non-residential use permit (non-RUP) for business location from Fairfax County Department of Planning and Zoning.
- Surety bond, payable to Fairfax County, Virginia in amount of $10,000.
- Copy of Virginia “Placed in Service” report for trade scale. A list of scale companies certified by Virginia Office of Product and Industry Standards is available from the Regulation and Licensing Branch.
- Payment of $215.00, payable to County of Fairfax by cash, check, money order or debit card. Credit cards are not accepted for payment of license fees.
Questions? Contact us.