Is the solicitor at your door licensed?
Who needs a Solicitors License?
Any individual who sells goods or services door-to-door or from a
temporary location in Fairfax County is required to have a county-issued
Solicitors License. Solicitors may sell goods such as books, magazine
subscriptions, flowers, firewood, coupon books, frozen meat, ice cream,
or ready-to-eat hot foods. They may also offer services such as tree
work, driveway sealing, high-speed internet and cable service, free
estimates for home improvements, or home security alarm systems.
Soliciting is regulated by Chapter 31 of Fairfax County Code. Soliciting
without a license is a criminal offense and violators of Chapter 31 may
be charged with a Class 2 Misdemeanor.
Who is exempt?
Solicitors who offer only the following goods or services do not need a
license to solicit in Fairfax County: Fresh farm food products, including
produce and dairy products; Newspapers or newspaper subscriptions; and
Real Estate or Insurance, when the sales person is licensed by
What rules must solicitors follow in Fairfax County?
- Solicitors must have a county-issued license, and they must show it to you if you ask to see it.
- A solicitor is not allowed to knock or ring the bell where a “No Soliciting” sign is posted.
- Solicitors may knock on your door only between the hours of 9:00am and 8:00pm.
- A solicitor must leave your property when asked to do so.
What should residents do when a solicitor knocks on their
- You aren't required to open your door. If you do, ask to see their Fairfax County Solicitors License.
- Never let a solicitor into your home. Remember, solicitors are strangers. Use the same caution that you would use with any other stranger at your door.
- If you encounter a solicitor who does not have a county-issued license, or violates any of the other rules listed above, call Fairfax County Police non-emergency dispatch at 703-691-2131.
The Solicitors License is an individual license, not a business license. If a solicitor tells you that his or her business has a solicitors license, the solicitor is probably not licensed to solicit in Fairfax County. A legitimate Fairfax County Solicitors License matches the example shown below.