Northern Virginia Regional Projects Office - Hospital Beds
Northern Virginia Mental Health Institute
The Northern Virginia Mental Health Institute (NVMHI), located in Falls Church, Virginia, is an inpatient psychiatric facility under the auspices of the Commonwealth of Virginia, Department of Behavioral Health and Disability Services. To be eligible for services at NVMHI an individual must:
- be between the ages of 18 to 65
- be in need of acute psychiatric treatment and
- reside in one of the five Community Services Board (CSB) districts in Northern Virginia (Alexandria, Arlington, Fairfax, Loudoun and Prince William).
All admissions are pre-screened by the CSB in the person's area of residence. Once the pre-screener has determined the need for admission, contact is made with the Admissions Department at NVMHI to arrange an admission intake. NVMHI accepts individuals on involuntary and voluntary admission status.
In July 2010, bed capacity at NVMHI was reduced to 123 psychiatric beds. To manage that bed reduction, staff at the CSBs and NVMHI have worked closely together to assure that the acute care/crisis needs of consumers in Northern Virginia are met. These strategies include matching and monitoring consumer needs across several settings, including, but not limited to, NVMHI, Local Inpatient Purchase of Services (LIPOS) hospitals, and crisis stabilization units. Criteria used to assure that consumer needs and sufficient resources are addressed have been developed and are updated based on current circumstances. These criteria and procedures are:
- Regional Admission Procedures
- NVMHI Admission Priorities
- Medical Clearance of Referrals Checklist
- Documentation Requirements for State Hospital CSB Discharge Planners
- Collaborative Discharge Protocols for Community Service Boards and State Hospitals Adult & Geriatric
Local Inpatient Purchase of Services
LIPOS stands for Local Inpatient Purchase of Service. The State disperses funds to the Region for the CSB’s to purchase private psychiatric hospital beds for individuals with no healthcare benefits when admission to a state psychiatric hospital is not possible. The HPR II Region includes five Community Services Boards: Alexandria, Arlington, Fairfax-Falls Church, Loudoun, and Prince William. Read the LIPOS Freqently Asked Questions.
Our region (HPR II) utilizes six local hospitals for Local Inpatient Purchase of Services (LIPOS) funding:
- Dominion Hospital
Inova Behavioral Health Services
- Fairfax Hospital
- Loudoun Hospital
- Mount Vernon Hospital
- Prince William Hospital and
- Virginia Hospital Center
Staff from Emergency Services of the five CSBs place at-risk consumers with no financial resources into these beds when no available beds exist at the Northern Virginia Mental Health Institute (NVMHI). Discharge planners from the five CSBs monitor their stay and provide discharge planning and transfer to NVMHI as needed.
- Hospital Contact Information
- Adult Forms
- LIPOS/Private Bed/PHP – Admission/Utilization Form
- LIPOS/PHP Extension Form
- LIPOS/PHP Receiving Form
- LIPOS Out of Region Hospital Form
- LIPOS Procedures
- LIPOS Procedures
- Youth Forms
- General Procedures for Admission to Private Hospital Using Youth Funding
- Funding Extension
- Partial Hospitalization Procedures (PHP)
- Partial Hospitalization Procedures for Diversion
- Partial Hospitalization Procedures for Stepdown
- Insured Transfers
- Criteria for Insured Transfer to NVMHI
If you do not have the Adobe Acrobat Reader installed on your computer, click on the image below to go to the Adobe Systems, Inc. download site. Download and install the program according to the instructions. Adobe Acrobat Reader is free and is distributed by Adobe Systems, Inc.