CSB Advanced Practice-Psychiatric Mental Health Nursing Preceptorship Opportunities
Applicants must be licensed registered nurses in academic Clinical Nurse Specialists or Psychiatric Nurse Practitioner Master's Nursing programs.
Nurses in this preceptorship work a minimum of 8 hours per week, with most interns needing to provide 12-16 hours per week to meet placement criteria.
- Establish effective clinical interviewing skills.
- Conduct individual, group and family counseling or psychotherapy.
- Participate in and conduct differential diagnosis, treatment planning and goal setting with individuals receiving services and in collaboration with treatment team.
- Completing screenings, intakes and biopsychosocial assessments and evaluations.
- Carry a caseload and participate in staff meetings and clinicals, including presenting cases.
- Apply ethical guidelines and principles to clinical treatment in all aspects.
- Conduct primary health and neurological assessments, develop treatment planning and initial care.
- Participate in medication assessments, psychotropic monitoring and related medical appointments.
- Assist in treatment planning based on clinical indicators, including results of diagnostic and lab tests as appropriate, to treat symptoms of psychiatric disorders and improve functional health status.
- Go to the Fairfax County Volunteer Management System to create a profile and complete an application. You can upload your current resume/CV and your school’s program requirements (required) and you will also be able to make note of your preferences in terms of site location, service population or schedule.
- The VIVA staff and other clinical staff will screen applications and candidates who meet skills, experience and educational requirements for placements may be selected. The most qualified applicants are referred for a formal interviews for the most suitable placements. There are two interviews for a placement. We have a large number of applicants who are applying for internship opportunities and it is a competitive selection process. The supervisor makes the final decision about accepting an individual into a conditional internship placement.
- Once a student is given a conditional offer for a placement, he/she will meet with VIVA Program staff to complete background checks and onboarding paperwork. Conditional offers given based upon satisfactory completion and results of all required references, background checks, and TB screenings.