Safe Handling of Medications Year-Round
Safe handling and proper disposal of medicines prevents drug abuse and protects the environment.
Handling Your Medicine Safely
- Keep track of and secure your medications.
- Keep the medications in their original containers (to help identify the contents if they are accidentally swallowed).
- Read the material provided with all prescribed medications to know how to use them safely.
- Ask your doctor or pharmacist about any possible risks, especially for abuse.
- Talk to your children. Let them know to never take medications without your knowledge.
- When disposing of drugs, cross out your name and prescription number on the container.
- Pills: add some salt water to start dissolving them.
- Liquids: mix in something inedible like dirt, ash or cat litter.
- Seal the container and secure the seal with duct tape or packing tape.
- Put the container in the trash close to pick-up time. Do NOT put it in the recycling bin.
- Do NOT flush unused medications down the toilet www.fairfaxcounty.gov/hd/dontflush.
- Learn how to properly dispose of home-generated medical waste by visiting the Sharps and Medical waste page.