Alexandria City Early
Stop Child Abuse Now
(SCAN) of Northern Virginia
Parenting Education Programs
This program offers parenting
classes that include the entire family – parents and their children.
- Classes range from 12-24 weeks, depending on the ages of
children in the family
- Available in English or Spanish for most curriculums
- Classes with an African American cultural focus
- Offered in a variety of community settings
- Classes are free, and include:
- A light evening meal
- Child care for children under 5 years of age
- A structured program for children 5 years of age and older
- For more information:
- General information, call 703-324-7691; TTY: 703-222-9452
- About classes in English, call 703-324-7691; TTY: 703-222-9452
- About classes with an African American cultural focus,
call 703-324-3617; TTY: 703-222-9452
- About classes in Spanish, call 703-324-7405; TTY: 703-222-9452
- Check the Parenting Education page to read more about types of programs
available and curriculum topics, or to download a form.
A Program of Northern Virginia Family Services
Offers a wide range of
- A 10-week Women's Anger Management Group in Spanish
- A 10-week parenting class in Spanish
- Individual, group and family therapy/counseling
services in English, Farsi,
Spanish, Vietnamese, French and other languages
- Domestic violence program for immigrant
women and their children
- Certified Batterers Intervention
Program in Spanish and Arabic
- Fees required for some services
- Contact the referral line: 571-748-2800
Back to Top
City Early Childhood Development
City of Alexandria Department of Community and Human Services
for Early Childhood Development
- Teen Parent groups at T.C. Williams High School after school
- Subsidized child care may be provided while teen parent attends school
- Participants must live in City of Alexandria
Call 703-746-KIDS (703-746-5437)
Back to Top
Child Abuse Now (SCAN) of Northern Virginia
Provides parenting education and family support, including:
- Parenting Classes: in English and Spanish
offered in fall and spring.
- Childcare is available for children ages 0 - 4.
- Children's component, designed for ages 5 and older, discusses rules, praise and criticism, personal power and includes a yoga component.
- Parents with children of all ages are invited.
- Services are free. A light dinner is provided.
- ABCs of Parenting Program curriculum is used.
- Educational Parent Support Groups: Groups
are open, ongoing and available in Spanish and English.
- Services are free.
- Structured children's activities available for children
of all ages
- Parent Connection Resource Guide: Triannual resource guide contains information about parenting classes, support groups, playgroups and other parenting and community resources for the 5 Northern Virginia jurisdictions.
- Educational Parenting Information: available
via brochures, fact sheets, and other formats
Back to Top
Return to Parenting Resources Home