Free Income Tax Assistance for Households Earning Less Than $51,000
Contact for More Details:
Fairfax Job Center at 703-324-7721, TTY 711
Contact for News Media:
Amy Carlini, Communications Director
Department of Family Services
703-324-7758, TTY 703-222-9452
January 15, 2013
This year's Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) program launches Thursday, Jan. 26, at 21 sites throughout Northern Virginia. Locally known as the Northern Virginia CASH Campaign – Creating Assets, Savings and Hope – the program offers free tax preparation services to working families and individuals who earned less than $51,000 in 2012.
Last year's VITA program in Northern Virginia resulted in federal tax refunds of over $7 million for low-income families and individuals. A local coalition of public agencies, businesses, libraries, faith and community-based groups operates the program, which is coordinated by the Fairfax County Department of Family Services.
Starting Jan. 26 and running through Apr. 15, IRS-certified volunteers will help low-income families and individuals receive the maximum tax refund to which they are entitled and determine if they are eligible for the Earned Income Tax Credit.
"The tax assistance provided to families would not be possible without the time and dedication of our volunteers. This is such a great service because it can help families keep more of their hard-earned money," said Dai Nguyen, Employment and Training Program manager for the Fairfax County Department of Family Services.
People seeking tax preparation assistance should bring the following:
- Proof of identification - Picture ID.
- Social Security cards for you, your spouse and dependents or a Social Security number verification letter issued by the Social Security Administration or Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN) assignment letter for you, your spouse and dependents.
- Proof of foreign status, if applying for an ITIN.
- Birth dates for you, your spouse and dependents on the tax return.
- Wage and earning statement(s) Form W-2, W-2G, 1099-R, 1099-Misc from all employers.
- Interest and dividend statements from banks (Forms 1099).
- A copy of last year's federal and state returns if available.
- Proof of bank account routing numbers and account numbers for direct deposit, such as a blank check.
- Total paid for day care provider and the day care provider's tax identifying number (the provider's Social Security number or the provider's business Employer Identification Number) if appropriate.
To file taxes electronically on a married-filing-joint tax return, both spouses must be present to sign the required forms.
For more information about the Northern Virginia CASH Campaign, please visit VITA page or contact the Attia Mahmood at 703-324-7731; TTY 711.
Fairfax County is committed to nondiscrimination on the basis of disability in all county programs services and activities. Reasonable accommodations will be provided upon request. To request this information in an alternate format, call 703-324-7758; TTY 703-222-9452.