How Can We Help?
We Assist People Searching for Long-Term Care Services As Well As Those Receiving Them
For individuals/families searching for a nursing facility or an
assisted living facility:
- Information about facilities and services available;
- Virginia Department of Health license inspection report;
Questions to ask and features to look for during the
For individuals receiving care in a nursing facility or assisted
- Telephone counseling about how to best handle a concern;
- Negotiation to resolve a dispute;
- Formal complaint investigation aimed at achieving a resolution;
Visits and/or assistance from a volunteer ombudsman, if
- In order to meet consumers' needs, the Northern Virginia Long-Term Care Ombudsman Program staff will be providing information to people that call our intake line during regular business hours. Our intake line is 703-324-5861, TTY 711, and the hours for the Ombudsman Program are Monday through Friday from 8 a.m.–4:30 p.m.
A Few Details About Complaint Investigation Procedures
- Anonymous complaints are accepted.
- A signed waiver of right to confidentiality is required in cases where names will be used.
- Complaint investigation written reports are kept confidential and are not subject to the Freedom of Information Act.
- We will address the complaints of just one resident or problems affecting numerous residents.
- We will address a wide variety of complaint issues, unlike Adult Protective Services, whose primary focus is abuse, neglect, or exploitation; and for one specific individual only.
Education and Technical Assistance Services
- Ombudsman are available to make presentations to community groups, to resident councils and family councils, and to conduct in-services for the staff of facilities. Frequently requested topics include residents' rights, dignity and respect, effective communication techniques, and the Ombudsman Program's services.
- Providers are welcome to call the program staff for confidential consultation regarding residents' rights concerns/issues.
12011 Government Center Parkway
Fairfax, VA 22035
Intake Line: 703-324-5861
To request reasonable accommodations,
call TTY 711 or 703-449-1186;
8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.