How Can We Help?
We assist people searching for long-term care services as well as those receiving them
1. For individuals/families searching for a nursing facility or an assisted living facility:
- Information about facilities and services available;
- Ombudsman Program record of complaints;
- Virginia Department of Health license inspection report;
- Questions to ask and features to look for during the search.
2. For individuals receiving care in a nursing facility or assisted living facility:
- Telephone counseling about how to best handle a concern;
- Negotiation to resolve a dispute;
- Formal complaint investigation aimed at achieving a resolution;
- Visits and/or assistance from a volunteer ombudsman, if available.
A Few Details About Complaint Investigation Procedures
- Anonymous complaints are accepted.
- A signed waiver of right to confidentiality is required in cases where names will be used.
- Complaint investigation written reports are kept confidential and are not subject to the Freedom of Information Act.
- We will address the complaints of just one resident or problems affecting numerous residents.
- We will address a wide variety of complaint issues, unlike Adult Protective Services, whose primary focus is abuse, neglect, or exploitation; and for one specific individual only.
Education and Technical Assistance Services
- Ombudsman are available to make presentations to community groups, to resident councils and family councils, and to conduct in-services for the staff of facilities. Frequently requested topics include residents' rights, dignity and respect, effective communication techniques, and the Ombudsman Program's services.
- Providers are welcome to call the program staff for confidential consultation regarding residents' rights concerns/issues.