Building Inspections

Inspections are required at specific intervals to ensure your project complies with the building code.

Inspection Requests and Status

  • Schedule, Change or Cancel an Inspection online or call 703-631-5101, TTY 711.
  • Receive an estimated time of arrival by calling 703-631-5101, TTY 711, after 7:30 a.m.the day of your inspection.
  • Scheduling use permits (certificates of occupancy):
    •  Residential (RUPs): call 703-631-5101, TTY 711.
    •  Non-residential (nonRUPs): call 703-222-1082, TTY 711
  • Check your inspection status: by permit | by address

Inspection Programs

  • After-Hour Electrical Inspections are available at additional cost and can be requested by calling 703-631-5101, TTY 711 at least 48 hours prior to the inspection date.
  • Residential foundation inspections are available to pre-approved registered design professionals in-lieu of a county inspector and can be requested by calling 703-631-5101, TTY 711.
  • Commercial Third Party Inspections Program is available for most commercial inspections.  Learn more or call 703-631-5101, TTY.
  • The Special Inspections Program requires owners of qualifying projects to retain a registered design professional to conduct inspections of building elements requiring special expertise. Learn more or call 703-631-5101, TTY.
  • Elevator and escalator inspections must be inspected twice a year.







Building Inspections
12055 Government Center Parkway
3rd Floor
703-631-5101, TTY 711

Monday – Thursday: 8 a.m. to 4 p.m.
Friday 9:15 p.m. to 4 p.m.

Key Inspections Information


Top Building Permit Links



Contact Fairfax County: Phone, Email or Twitter | Main Address: 12000 Government Center Parkway, Fairfax, VA 22035
Technical Questions: Web Administrator

ADA Accessibility | Website Accessibility
Awards | FOIA | Mobile | Using this Site | Web Disclaimer & Privacy Policy | Get Adobe Reader
Official site of the County of Fairfax, Virginia, © Copyright 2015

Website Feedback Website Feedback    Globe with various flags representing Web site language translations   Language Translations

Return to Graphic Version