Hiring a Contractor

If the project you are planning is valued at $1,000 or more, the person doing the work must have a valid Virginia Contractor's License issued from the Department of Professional and Occupational Regulation (DPOR).  Licenses are issued in one of three classes; A, B, or C.  This determines the dollar amount of the contract.  Licenses are also issued with classifications and specialties that identify the type of work that may be performed.  More information regarding licenses is available from DPOR.  

Why Hire a Contractor?

Fairfax County Podcasts logo

Selecting a Contractor Podcast

You may obtain permits in your own name. However, it is always suggested that your contractor be listed on your permit application to:

Is My Contractor Licensed?

cover of Home Improvement presentation

Consumer Affairs Presentation

Possible Signs of a Scam or Unlicensed Contractor

Verify a Contractor

  • To verify if a contractor is licensed, go to DPORs License Lookup or call 804-367-8500, TTY 711.
  • Contact the Permit Application Center via email or by calling 703-222-0801, TTY 711, for help. 
  • Check for complaints filed against contractors in the county’s consumer complaints database.

How Do I Submit a Complaint About My Unlicensed Contractor?

Due to code limitations in the Virginia Uniform Statewide Building Code, complaints regarding construction activity more than two years old cannot be accepted.

  • If a person identifies him/herself as a licensed contractor and it is discovered the person is not licensed, it is a violation of Fairfax County Code. Complaints/violations may be reported using the online complaint form; or
  • Call the Department of Code Compliance at 703-324-1300, TTY 711, to start the complaint process and an investigator from the Code Enforcement Branch will contact you; or
  • Call the Virginia State Department of Professional and Occupational Regulation at 804-367-8500, TTY 711.

What Do I Do If My Contractor Failed to Complete A Job And I Want My Money Back?

  • Whether or not a contractor is licensed, you may wish to obtain private legal counsel to pursue the appropriate civil action.
  • In addition, you may wish to contact the Financial Crimes Section of the Fairfax County Police Department at 703-246-7800, TTY 711, if money was taken and no work performed.
  • For construction, maintenance or repair activity that does not require permits, call the Fairfax County Department of Cable Communications and Consumer Protection at 703-324-5900, TTY , to file a complaint.
  • If the contractor is licensed, call the Virginia Board of Contractors of the Department of Professional and Occupational Regulation at 804-367-8500, TTY 711, to determine if you are eligible to receive compensation from the State Contractor Recovery Fund.

I Would Like to Become a Licensed Contractor.  What Do I Do?


Contact Fairfax County: Phone, Email or Twitter | Main Address: 12000 Government Center Parkway, Fairfax, VA 22035
Technical Questions: Web Administrator

ADA Accessibility | Website Accessibility
Awards | FOIA | Mobile | Using this Site | Web Disclaimer & Privacy Policy | Get Adobe Reader
Official site of the County of Fairfax, Virginia, © Copyright 2015

Website Feedback Website Feedback    Globe with various flags representing Web site language translations   Language Translations

Return to Graphic Version