Building Plan Minimum Submission Requirements
When applying for a permit, you must submit two copies (three copies if a Health Department permit is required) of plans for the review process. Plans must clearly illustrate the nature of all of the work to be performed.
- Minimum scale of ⅛ inch = 1 foot.
- Minimum sheet size: 21” x 30” inches for commercial, 11”x17” for residential; no pencil.
- Plan rolls should not exceed 50 pounds; if so, you will be required to split it into multiple rolls not exceeding the 50 pounds max per roll.
- Code year used for the design.
- Name, address and occupation of the building designer.
- If prepared by a Virginia registered architect or professional engineer, the plans must bear the original signature, seal and date.
- Project name, address of the building.
- Completed Building Information Form; attach one copy to each set of drawings.
- For structural work, a completed Statement of Special Inspections; attach one copy to each set of drawings.
- For additions and alterations, a completed Accessibility Compliance Form; attach one copy to each set of drawings.
- Completed Electrical Energy Certification Form.
For additional information, see project specific information on Commercial Construction.
- Cover sheet for Townhouses and New Single Family Dwellings
- Wall bracing method and worksheet. For more information, see our Wind Bracing publications.
- Insulation R-values and U-factors. See our Energy Compliance publication for specific requirements.
For additional information, see project specific information on Residential Construction.
Back to Building Plan Review information.