Operating Community Pools

a community pool

Each summer, community pools offer our families an endless source of recreation and a respite from the season's heat and humidity. The various county agencies that regulate the operation of community pools work to ensure our summer fun takes place in a facility that is clean, safe and accessible to all.

Annual Requirements

The operation of community pools requires several annual inspections per the county ordinance for water recreation facilities. Pool owners, management companies, boards and managers are responsible to be familiar with the code and have the required health inspection, pool operators, electrical and fire permits to ensure the safety and health of staff and swimmers.

All pools require an annual electrical inspection.  All metallic parts of a pool structure must be bonded as required by the electrical code.  The annual electrical inspection can be completed by a third-party electrician or a county inspector.

  • If using a county inspector, provide sufficient time for scheduling before opening day.  The associated fee is as published in the current fee schedule
  • If using a third-party electrical contractor, he or she must complete an Electrical Inspection Form.  Submission instructions are included on the form.

Helpful permitting and inspection links:


New community pools are required to be accessible under the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA). ADA requirements are met through provisions of the Virginia building code. See Accessibility Fundamentals to learn more about basic accessibility requirements for the accessible route and buildings on property.

Existing pools must also be accessible through specific requirements from the Department of Justice (DOJ) which enforces the ADA. Learn more on making existing pools accessible or call the ADA help line at 1-800-514-0301, TTY 1-800-514-0383.  DOJ also offers frequently asked questions.

Facility Renovations

Building permits are required for major renovations and alterations to a community pool and its associated buildings. The building department, Health Department and Zoning are reviewing agencies that are part of the permit application process. To learn more, follow the links below, contact the Permit Application Center at 703-222-0801, TTY 711, or email us.

More Questions?

For more information, call 703-222-0801, TTY 711, or email us.

Contact Fairfax County: Phone, Email or Twitter | Main Address: 12000 Government Center Parkway, Fairfax, VA 22035
Technical Questions: Web Administrator

ADA Accessibility | Website Accessibility
Awards | FOIA | Mobile | Using this Site | Web Disclaimer & Privacy Policy | Get Adobe Reader
Official site of the County of Fairfax, Virginia, © Copyright 2015

Website Feedback Website Feedback    Globe with various flags representing Web site language translations   Language Translations

Return to Graphic Version