Extensions of Foundation and Footing Permits
After the footing and foundation permit is issued, letters of extension may be approved by the Director of the Building Plan Review Division in accordance with the following.
- Continuation of construction is at the owner's risk prior to issuance of a full building permit.
- Letters of extension must be signed by the owner or owner's agent and request permission to proceed with construction for those portions of the work that have been fully approved.
- Full plan review approval is required by the building discipline before an extension letter will be approved for any work under their review.
- Plumbing, mechanical and electrical extension will be granted only after all three disciplines have been fully approved in order to coordinate necessary overlap in review.
- Health Department must give plan approval before extensions are granted for projects under their review.
- Approval of the extension will not be approved without verification with field inspection personnel that all appropriate third party inspection reports are approved with are no outstanding code violations.
- Verification is required from the Director of the Site Development and Inspections Division to ensure there are no major obstacles preventing the site plan from being approved.
If you have any questions, please contact Building Plan Review at 703-222-0114, TTY 711.