The Modified Processing program facilitates the review of large, complex buildings by Land Development Services. The modified processing procedures allow for issuance of partial (footing and foundation) permits and extensions of those partial permits prior to full approval of site and building plans. In order to be considered for modified processing the project must meet the following basic criteria:
Those businesses or industries desiring to locate or expand their
existing facilities in Fairfax County must provide evidence that
indicates their intent and the ability to proceed with the physical
improvements within a reasonable time frame following approval of their
The operation of businesses and industries proposing to locate or
expand their existing facilities in the county must not alter the
nature and character of the county and its communities to any
The special processing procedure will be available to only those
businesses and industries that will:
Have a real estate assessed value in excess of $25 million on a new
site. While this figure includes total real estate assessed value,
including land and improvements, the improvements to the property
must have a value of at least $20 million.
Have only one permanent building to be built by the applicant in
the proposal being submitted.
- Have the proposal defined by a unique site plan and not several smaller projects with several site plans included in a single proposal to meet the assessed value criterion.
- Have a real estate assessed value in excess of $25 million on a new site. While this figure includes total real estate assessed value, including land and improvements, the improvements to the property must have a value of at least $20 million.
An application to request consideration for these procedures on your project is included in the links below. The application must be signed and submitted with the necessary accompanying documents to:
Director, Land Development Services
12055 Government Center Parkway, Suite 444
Fairfax, Virginia 22035
For more details on how to apply for modified processing, contact the Land Development Services Director's Office at 703-324-1780, TTY 711.
Links to Additional Information on Modified Processing:
- Rough Grading Permits
- Footing and Foundation Permits
- Extensions of Footing and Foundation Permits
- Modified Processing Request Form