Assistance for Places of Worship and Non-profit Community Groups

Guidance for non-residential land development and construction is available through the services of an ombudsman. The ombudsman can explain county zoning and permitting requirements and their processes when you are considering projects including:

Development Information

The ombudsman can help you anytime during the development process. Places of worship are allowed in most areas zoned as industrial or commercial after approval of a parking tabulation and a building permit. For other zoning classifications, a special use or special exception permit is required. You can get acquainted with the land development process by reviewing the information below.

Land Development Process Overview

Phase 1:  Zoning
Phase 2:  Site and Subdivision Plans Review
Phase 3:  Building Permits and Inspections
Phase 4:  Bond Release

Related Information

people in a meeting

Schedule a Meeting

There are several ways the ombudsman can assist you.

  • Private meetings with the ombudsman can discuss all aspects of the land development process.
  • Pre-application meetings include representatives from other agencies that are involved in your project. No approvals are provided at these meetings.
  • Problem-solving meetings can assist you in resolving any issues that arise during your project.

You can request a meeting online for places of worship or non-profit community groups at anytime or contact the ombudsman at 703-222-0801, TTY 711, for more information.

Contact Fairfax County: Phone, Email or Twitter | Main Address: 12000 Government Center Parkway, Fairfax, VA 22035
Technical Questions: Web Administrator

ADA Accessibility | Website Accessibility
Awards | FOIA | Mobile | Using this Site | Web Disclaimer & Privacy Policy | Get Adobe Reader
Official site of the County of Fairfax, Virginia, © Copyright 2015

Website Feedback Website Feedback    Globe with various flags representing Web site language translations   Language Translations

Return to Graphic Version