To report an outage
Streetlights in Fairfax County are maintained by either Dominion Virginia Power or Northern Virginia Electric Cooperative (NOVEC). The Virginia Department of Transportation (VDOT) operates the streetlights along interstates and at major interchanges.
- To report a streetlight outage to Dominion Virginia Power, call 1-866-DOM-HELP (366-4357), TTY 711.
Dominion Virginia Power uses a coding system when responding to repair orders where the problem cannot be resolved on the first visit. If further work is required to correct the problem, a color-coded tag is wrapped around the light post: blue (overhead repair is required), green (underground repair is necessary) and yellow (underground cable is damaged and needs repair).
- To report a streetlight outage to NOVEC, report the outage online or call 1-888-335-0500, TTY 711.
- To report a streetlight outage at major interchanges or a traffic light problem, call VDOT at 1-800-FOR-ROAD (1-800-367-7623), TTY 711.
When reporting an outage, you will need to have the location of the pole and the pole number. To assist you in locating the number, a map of streetlights is available through My Neighborhood. (See below for step-by-step directions.)
If you need additional information or assistance, please contact the Capital Facilities Planning and Design Division, 703-324-5800, TTY 711.
To view the streetlights map
- Go to My Neighborhood (this will open a new window).
- Type in the address in the search boxes. Be sure to type the street number in the first box, street name in the second box, and the type (drive, circle, avenue, etc) in the third box using the drop down menu. Then click “Search.”
Next, under the “Available Map Types” using the drop down menu select
- Use the “Zoom” tool to view the pole number of a specific streetlight.