Water Reuse Project
Announcements and Information
Lorton Road reopening the afternoon of Aug. 12:
The installation of the water reuse pipe along Lorton Road has been completed.
The proposed Water Reuse Project will use reclaimed water from the
Noman M. Cole Jr. Pollution Control Plant for irrigation and process
purposes. Specifically, it involves the installation of a
pipeline from the Noman M. Cole Jr., Pollution Control Plant on Route
1, in Lorton, to Covanta Fairfax, Inc. Resource Recovery Plant, Laurel
Hill Golf Course, as well as other sites in the county.
560 million gallons of treated reused/reclaimed effluent waters will be
directed to the Covanta Fairfax Inc. Energy Resource Recovery
24 million gallons of water will be allocated to both the Laurel Hill
Golf Course and the Lower Potomac Ball Fields for irrigation
5 miles of pipeline will be installed, as well as associated pumps and
an elevated water storage tank at Covanta Fairfax Inc. Resource
Recovery Plant to store 500,000 gallons of reclaimed water.
Currently, the Covanta plant utilizes potable drinking water for the
majority of their process and cooling water. This project will allow
Covanta to utilize reused/reclaimed treated effluent from the NCPCP
that would otherwise be discharged to Pohick Creek.
The project received $6.5 million in federal stimulus funds through the
American Recovery and Reinvestment Act through the Virginia Department
of Environmental Quality Clean Water Revolving Fund Loan Program.
- This project has undergone substantial coordination with the Virginia Department of Environmental Quality as well as other local, state and federal agencies.
Water Reuse Project Map
If you have questions, comments or would like additional information on this project, you may contact us in one of the following ways:
By mail to the Design-Build Team:
- Jeff Chapin, PE, Dewberry 8401 Arlington Blvd. Fairfax, Virginia 22031 or
- M. A. Bongiovanni, Inc. Joe Bongiovanni P.O. Box 147 Colvin Station Syracuse, NY 13205
- Send your comments by e-mail.
- Contact the Design-Build Team by phone - Jeff Chapin : 703-849-0555 or Joe Bongiovanni: 315-475-9937.
- By phone at the Planning and Design Division, 703-324-5983, TTY 711.
Fairfax County is committed to nondiscrimination on the basis of disability in all county programs, services and activities. Reasonable accommodations will be provided upon request.For information, call 703-324-5800, TTY 711.
Project Links and Additional Information:
- Energy Resource Recovery Facility
- Water Reclamation and Reuse Regulation
- Water Reclamation and Reuse Frequently Asked Questions