FAQs: Contractor Licensing

How do I verify whether my contractor is properly licensed?

You can contact the Permit Application Center at 703-222-0801, TTY 711, or check the contractor's state license status online.

If a person identifies him/herself as a licensed contractor and it is discovered the person is not licensed, this is a violation of Virginia state law. Complaints/violations may be reported to Fairfax County by calling 703-324-1300, TTY 711.

When do I need a business and/or contractor's license?

Fairfax County Business License: you will need a business license in Fairfax County if your business is located in the county and you have completed over $10,000 worth of total work in a year within the county. If your businesses is located outside of the county, you will need a business license when your work exceeds $25,000 in a year in the county.

State Contractor's License: all contractors must have a Virginia Contractor's License if they are bidding on jobs in excess of $1,000. There are three classes of licenses:

Class C: if the project is over $1,000 but less than or equal to $10,000.
Class B: if the project is over $10,001 but less than or equal to $120,000.
Class A: if the project is over $120,000.

Fairfax County Home Improvement License: this license is required when a contractor has a Virginia Class C license with Home Improvement, ('HIC') or Building, ('BLD') as their specialty.  

How do I get a business and/or contractor's license?

Fairfax County Business License: you can call the Department of Tax Administration at 703-222-8234, TTY 711, for information/applications to obtain a Fairfax County Business License.

State Contractor's License: A contractor's license may be obtained from the state by contacting the Virginia Department of Professional and Occupational Regulation at 804-367-8511, TTY 711, or online.

Fairfax County Home Improvement License: A Fairfax County Home Improvement Contractor's License may be obtained by submitting an application for approval to the Fairfax County Code Development and Compliance Division on the third floor of the Herrity Building, or you may call 703-324-1300, TTY 711, for more information.

What is the difference between a contractor's license in the commonwealth of Virginia and Fairfax County?

The commonwealth of Virginia requires that if you are bidding on construction jobs in excess of $1,000, you must obtain a Virginia contractors license.

Fairfax County requires a Home Improvement Contractor's License for Class C contractors performing work on residential properties with the Home Improvement (HIC) or Building (BLD) state classifications.

Where do I take the contractor's license test?

The testing for the state contractor's license is given by PSI Examination Services; contact them by phone at 800-733-9267, TTY 711, to find testing locations.

More questions?

For more information, please contact the Permit Application Center at 703-222-0801, TTY 711.

Contact Fairfax County: Phone, Email or Twitter | Main Address: 12000 Government Center Parkway, Fairfax, VA 22035
Technical Questions: Web Administrator

ADA Accessibility | Website Accessibility
Awards | FOIA | Mobile | Using this Site | Web Disclaimer & Privacy Policy | Get Adobe Reader
Official site of the County of Fairfax, Virginia, © Copyright 2015

Website Feedback Website Feedback    Globe with various flags representing Web site language translations   Language Translations

Return to Graphic Version