FAQs: Industrial Waste/Pretreatment

Do I need a Wastewater Discharge Permit?

Not every industrial discharger is required to have a permit, but all dischargers must be in compliance with the Fairfax County Sewer Use Ordinance (Chapter 67.1 Sanitary Sewers and Sewage Disposal). Permits are issued to federally regulated industries (Categorical Industrial Users), dischargers with volumes of process wastes greater than 25,000 gallons per day, or any discharger with the potential to negatively impact the sanitary sewer system. See discharge approval/permits.

What are your discharge limits?

Fairfax County is divided into sewer service areas and discharge limits are specific to the wastewater treatment plant that an industry’s wastewater flows to. See discharge limits/regulations.

Where can I dispose of my recreational vehicle (RV) wastewater?

Some regional parks have disposal locations. The Noman M. Cole Pollution Control Plant accepts RV waste from county residents, but requires prior notification so an escort can be provided.  See list of disposal locations that is available online.

How do I get a sewage handlers license?

Fairfax County Health Department issues license to haulers.   A registration application is online.

Where can I dispose of groundwater from excavation or remediation projects?

Groundwater from remediation projects is not allowed into the sanitary sewer unless approved by Fairfax County Industrial Waste Section. Groundwater can be disposed of to the storm sewer after obtaining a permit from the Virginia Department of Environmental Quality. Additionally, you must contact Fairfax County Fire & Rescue for any groundwater remediation project. If the project is within the Towns of Clifton, Herndon, Vienna, or the cities of Falls Church or Fairfax; you must contact those jurisdictions.

Can I empty my swimming pool water into the sanitary sewer?

No. In general, pool water from seasonal cleaning that is appropriately treated is acceptable for direct discharge to the storm drainage system as long as specific precautions are taken. More information can be found in the Proper Discharge of Swimming Pool Water brochure or by contacting the Stormwater Planning Division at 703-324-5500, TTY 711. Commercial swimming pool operators should contact the Health Department at 703-246-2300, TTY 711. It is recommended that backwash water be discharged to the sanitary sewer unless the pool operator can demonstrate a practical method for de-chlorinating..

Where can I dispose of wastewater from a carpet cleaning or pet grooming business?

Wastewater can be discharged into a sink or floor drain after the carpet fibers or hair have been screened or filtered from the wastewater. This prevents the sanitary sewer from becoming clogged due to the fibers. Wastewater should NEVER be discharged into a manhole.

Contact Fairfax County: Phone, Email or Twitter | Main Address: 12000 Government Center Parkway, Fairfax, VA 22035
Technical Questions: Web Administrator

ADA Accessibility | Website Accessibility
Awards | FOIA | Mobile | Using this Site | Web Disclaimer & Privacy Policy | Get Adobe Reader
Official site of the County of Fairfax, Virginia, © Copyright 2015

Website Feedback Website Feedback    Globe with various flags representing Web site language translations   Language Translations

Return to Graphic Version