FAQs: Streets, Sidewalks and Trails

Who maintains the streets in the county?

The Virginia Department of Transportation (1-800-FOR-ROAD (367-7623), TTY 711 ) maintains the thousands of miles of public streets in the county (interstate, primary, secondary, and residential). Maintenance includes potholes; traffic signals and signs; trees/branches; roadside ditches, curbs and gutters; and snow removal. A few miles of public roadway are maintained by the county under the Fairfax County Road Maintenance and Improvement Program. For information on that program, please call the Planning and Design Division at 703-324-5800, TTY 711. There are also many private streets maintained by businesses, apartment/condominium complexes, homeowner associations or residents.

Who maintains the sidewalks and trails in the county?

Most sidewalks in the right-of-way along public streets are maintained by the state or the county. Sidewalks along private roads are property owner or homeowner association responsibility. Trails (asphalt, stone dust, wood chip, or natural surface) fall under many different authorities including the state, the county, Fairfax County Public Schools, Fairfax County Park Authority, Northern Virginia Regional Park Authority and homeowner associations.  For maintenance of a state-maintained sidewalk, please contact the Virginia Department of Transportation at 1-800-FOR-ROAD (367-7623), TTY 711; for maintenance of a county sidewalk or trail, please use the Walkway Maintenance Request Form.  For further information, please see the walkways information page.

How can I find out who maintains particular streets, sidewalks or trails?

For assistance in determining maintenance responsibility for a street, sidewalk or trail, please contact the Maintenance & Stormwater Management Division at 703-877-2800, TTY 711.

How do I request a new trail or sidewalk?

For information about requesting new walkways please contact the Department of Transportation Pedestrian Program, 703-877-5600, TTY 711.

Who maintains street signs and traffic signals in the county?

Traffic signals and traffic directional signs (stop, yield, speed limit, etc.) are maintained by the Virginia Department of Transportation (1-800-FOR-ROAD (367-7623), TTY 711). They also issue permits for signs in state right-of-way. The county Sign Shop (703-877-2800, TTY 711) maintains public street name signs, but pipestem driveway signs are the responsibility of the property owner(s) on the pipestem.

Contact Fairfax County: Phone, Email or Twitter | Main Address: 12000 Government Center Parkway, Fairfax, VA 22035
Technical Questions: Web Administrator

ADA Accessibility | Website Accessibility
Awards | FOIA | Mobile | Using this Site | Web Disclaimer & Privacy Policy | Get Adobe Reader
Official site of the County of Fairfax, Virginia, © Copyright 2015

Website Feedback Website Feedback    Globe with various flags representing Web site language translations   Language Translations

Return to Graphic Version