FAQs: Water Heaters

I am replacing my water heater; am I required to have an expansion tank?

Most water heaters in Fairfax County homes do not require an expansion tank. However, if you have a check valve, backflow preventer, pressure reducing valve or a pressure increasing pump, you may be required to have an expansion tank. Learn more about expansion tanks and where they are required.

More Questions?

Please contact Building Plan Review via e-mail or call 703-222-0114, TTY 711.

Contact Fairfax County: Phone, Email or Twitter | Main Address: 12000 Government Center Parkway, Fairfax, VA 22035
Technical Questions: Web Administrator

ADA Accessibility | Website Accessibility
Awards | FOIA | Mobile | Using this Site | Web Disclaimer & Privacy Policy | Get Adobe Reader
Official site of the County of Fairfax, Virginia, © Copyright 2017

Website Feedback Website Feedback    Globe with various flags representing Web site language translations   Language Translations

  We'd like your opinion! Take a look at our new website preview and take a survey.
Return to Graphic Version