FAQs: Water and Sewer Hookups

What do I need to do to hook up to public water service?

If your property is currently served by a well, you will need to abandon your well with concurrence and approval from the Health Department and physically disconnect the well from the potable water system. Call the Health Department at 703-246-2201, TTY 711, for information on abandoning a well.

Before you abandon or disconnect your well, make sure that one of the local water service providers does in fact provide water to your address. Although the Fairfax Water (703-698-5800, TTY 711) provides the majority of the countywide public water service, there are four additional water service suppliers that serve some areas of Fairfax County.

You will be required to complete an application, pay the availability fee, and set up an appointment to have your water service connection installed. This will take six to eight weeks. The Water Authority will tap the main water line, set the water meter and provide water service to your property. You or your contractor will need to obtain a plumbing permit to install the water service from the water meter crock into the house. The dwelling will have to be inspected and designated free of cross connection hazards prior to hooking into the public water system. Contact Inspection Requests at 703-222-0455, TTY 711,  with your plumbing permit number to schedule a cross connection inspection before the installation of your new water service.

If you wish to leave your well active, it can only be used for non-potable purposes. The well system is required to be physically disconnected from the new public water system and permanently identified as a non-potable water source.

How do I hook up to the public sanitary sewer?

First, ensure that sewer is available by contacting the Wastewater Planning and Monitoring Division at 703-324-5015, TTY 711. You will be required to pay any applicable fees such as sewer availability, connection, lateral spur fees, etc. Only a licensed plumber can obtain a permit to perform the actual sewer tap into a sewer main. The licensed plumber must obtain a permit for the work to be performed. If there is an existing spur, a homeowner may connect to the spur and install the sewer line to the house.

If you are going to abandon a septic field, contact the Health Department at 703-246-2201, TTY 711.

Contact Fairfax County: Phone, Email or Twitter | Main Address: 12000 Government Center Parkway, Fairfax, VA 22035
Technical Questions: Web Administrator

ADA Accessibility | Website Accessibility
Awards | FOIA | Mobile | Using this Site | Web Disclaimer & Privacy Policy | Get Adobe Reader
Official site of the County of Fairfax, Virginia, © Copyright 2015

Website Feedback Website Feedback    Globe with various flags representing Web site language translations   Language Translations

Return to Graphic Version