FAQs: Wall Bracing Engineered Design and Proprietary Systems

What does the county expect to see in a engineered shear wall design during permit application?

As noted in the Wall Bracing publication, a set of calculations meeting the requirements listed therein must be submitted to the county.

If my design does not meet the prescriptive requirements of the code, what are my options?

You have two options. The first is to use a proprietary system such as those from Simpson Strong-Tie, or Hardy Frame. The second is to have the structure designed by a registered design professional licensed in the commonwealth of Virginia. See the Wall Bracing publication for more information.

More Questions?

Please contact Building Plan Review via email or telephone at 703-222-0114, TTY 711. You may also consult the Wall Bracing publication.

Contact Fairfax County: Phone, Email or Twitter | Main Address: 12000 Government Center Parkway, Fairfax, VA 22035
Technical Questions: Web Administrator

ADA Accessibility | Website Accessibility
Awards | FOIA | Mobile | Using this Site | Web Disclaimer & Privacy Policy | Get Adobe Reader
Official site of the County of Fairfax, Virginia, © Copyright 2015

Website Feedback Website Feedback    Globe with various flags representing Web site language translations   Language Translations

Return to Graphic Version