Wolftrap Fire Station Receives Award
Nov. 22, 2013
DPWES - Capital Facilities
703-324-5880, TTY 711
Wolftrap Fire Station 42 Receives 2013 NAIOP Award of Excellence
Fairfax County was awarded the 2013 Award of Excellence for the Wolftrap Fire Station #42 from the Northern Virginia Chapter of the National Association of Industrial and Office Parks (NAIOP). The award was for “Best Building” in the “Build-To-Suit Institutional Facility – Under $20 Million” category.
In presenting the award, judges placed special emphasis on how the design of the facility reflected the character of the surrounding neighborhood with the covered porch entries, pitched roofs with asphalt shingles and the traditional red brick, beige siding and white trim. They recognized the extensive community engagement undertaken during the planning stage of the project as an essential key to the success of providing “a unique blend of civic presence and residential scale.”
The facility also incorporates a variety of “green” building features for which it has achieved a LEED Silver certification. Features include:
- Maximized use of open space
- Native plantings that do not need special irrigation systems
- Building materials selected to minimize Volatile Organic Compound (VOC) levels
- Building materials were available from local and recycled sources
- Maximized natural light and exterior views from occupied spaces
- Mechanical systems are 14 percent more efficient than code requires
NAIOP Northern Virginia has over 825 members serving the local Northern Virginia market. Awards are presented in recognition of significant new contributions to Northern Virginia by the commercial, industrial and mixed-use real estate community in the categories of Transactions, Interiors, Marketing, Building and Membership.