DPWES Letters to Industry
Land Development Services
12055 Government Center Parkway
Fairfax, VA 22035
703-324-1780, TTY 711
October 26, 2006
Post Submission Conferences and Site Plan Inserts
This issue came to light through the Fairfax County Development Process Improvement Initiative, which consists of county staff, the development industry and other stakeholders working in partnership to review and make recommendations for improving the overall efficiency, predictability, consistency, and effectiveness of the development review processes in Fairfax County.
The purpose of the Post Submission Conferences is to reach agreement between county staff and submitting engineers on how county comments on the 1st submission plans will be addressed on the 2nd submission plans. Staff would like to improve the effectiveness of the PSC by formalizing the meeting request and implementation process. In addition, Land Development Services has begun a pilot program in which industry may request a 2nd PSC prior to the submission of the 2nd submission plan. This option is being offered for development plans prepared under the designated plan examiner (DPE) program. A 2nd PSC will provide county staff and the submitting engineer an opportunity to verify the implementation of the resolutions discussed in the 1st PSC. This communication improvement should make the need for inserts less frequent. For submitting engineers who follow the procedure for a 2nd PSC, the 2nd submission plan and associated inserts will be processed in accordance with the procedure outlined below.
Post Submission Conference(s)
- Submitting engineer and county staff will attend 1st Post Submission Conference.
- Encourage owner/developer to attend;
- Utilize a standard Request Form (to be submitted 1 week in advance of Post Submission Conference);
- Identify agencies/reviewers requested at conference (include Planning and Zoning when appropriate) on Request Form;
- Submit Request Form by e-mail (if you have difficulties with the submission process, please contact the Environmental and Site Review Division at 703-324-1720, TTY 711). Post Submission Conference Request Form (PDF NOTE: This form requires Adobe Reader 7.0 or higher.)
- Include supporting documents with Request Form (Standard Comment Response Form, sketches, narrative, etc.);
- Utilize Standard Comment Response Form (Comment, Initial Response, Resolution, Final Response);
- Unless there are unusual circumstances dictated by the plan, representatives of the Fire Marshal, Fairfax Water and Health Departments will not typically be asked to attend. Coordination with those agencies should take place outside the Post Submission conference.
- Submitting engineer will submit minutes of the PSC, filling in “Resolution” area of the Standard Comment Response Form within one week of the PSC.
- LDS staff has one week to respond to the meeting minutes or it is assumed they concur with the minutes;
- It is preferred that all correspondence be electronic so that all parties can be easily copied.
- Submitting engineer will submit request for 2nd Post Submission Conference with advance prints of all affected sheets, circled in red, to show resolution of outstanding issues from the 1st PSC.
- Use Standard Comment Response Form;
- LDS staff to set up 2nd PSC within 7 days of receipt of request.
- Submitting engineer will expeditiously submit the second submission plans, after the 2nd PSC, while the resolutions are still fresh in the minds of the site reviewer and the submitting engineer. If staff needs further clarification following the 2nd PSC, county will respond to Submitting engineer’s additional information within 7 days: Plan should then be completed and submitted to ESI as normally done. ESI peer review should attend the 2nd PSC as a third party participant to help in the collective evaluation of whether or not the plan should continue in the DPE process.
- The county reviewer shall request a plan insert (if required) after all 2nd submission reviews are complete. If inserts are required, the county reviewer shall notify the Submitting Engineer in writing, via fax, or via e-mail to help expedite the process.
- Submitting engineers who followed the procedures for a 2nd PSC will have an expedited review.
- County reviewer will review 2nd submission DPE plans within 14 calendar days. (Plans requiring no inserts will be processed within the 14 calendar day timeframe and, if appropriate, recommended for approval and sent on to bond.);
- County reviewer will issue written comments for 2nd submission DPE plans requiring inserts (via letter, memo or e-mail) before the end of the 14 calendar days, thereby fulfilling the DPE commitment;
- The Submitting engineer shall submit the inserts within 7 calendar days from receipt of comments and include one copy of the plans highlighting the changes that were made in response to the comments;
- County reviewer will review the inserts within 7 additional calendar days, and, if appropriate, will recommend the plan for approval and forward the plan to bond. (The timelines outlined above recognize that the county must act on a 2nd submission within 45 calendar days.);
- Site reviewer may remove plans with issues requiring extensive time for review from the DPE process. Plan may either continue as a 2nd submission Non-DPE plan or be subject to a 3rd submission which would automatically remove the plan from a DPE status.
If you have any questions or need additional information, please contact
the Environmental and Site Review Division at 703-324-1720, TTY