Permit Application Instructions
The permit application can be used for all permit types. If you are applying for more than one permit as a homeowner or with the same contractor, you can use the same application for more than one permit type. You must complete the Equipment Worksheet for Household Appliance, Mechanical, Electrical and Plumbing Permits. Complete the application form as descripted below.
- Job Location: Provide all the pertinent information regarding where the construction will take place. Some fields may not be applicable to your project.
- Owner Information: Provide the name of the owner or tenant, address and other contact informaiton.
- Contractor Information: Complete contractor data including name, contact information and license numbers. The Contractor ID number is the FIDO generated identification unique to each contractor. If you do not have the Contractor ID number, it can be provided or generated during the permit application process.
- Applicant Information: Provide your name and contact information. The Contact ID number is the FIDO generated idenfication unique to each county property owner and permit customer. If you are not a property owner or previous customer, a Contact ID number will be generated during the permit application process.
- Designated Mechanic's Lien Agent: For residential properties only, provide the contact information of the mechanic's lien agent associated with the property or indicate none designated.
- Description of Work: Describe the work to be performed under the permit(s) you are applying for. The equipment installed will be listed on the Equipment Worksheet. Also provide the estimated cost of construction where shown. If you are applying for a building permit under the masterfile program, provide the name of the model or house type and corresponding masterfile number.
- At the bottom of the application, sign and print your name and the other information required.
Submit the Permit Application Form and Equipment Worksheet at the Information Center on the 2nd floor of the Herrity Building. For more information, go to the Permit Process website, email us or call 703-222-0801, TTY 711.