Building Permit Requirements
- You must obtain building permits for your retaining wall.
- Building plans are required, but may be substituted with the typical drawings shown below.
- A site-related plan is required to show the impact of your construction on your property.
- Your project must be inspected to ensure the construction is in accordance with the code and the approved plans.
Typical Retaining Wall Details
The Fairfax County Typical Retaining Wall Details are standard wood, masonry or concrete retaining wall construction plans that can be used in lieu of a plan submission during the permit application process if your retaining wall qualifies...
- Retains less than 4 feet of earth.
- Residential properties only.
- No imposed loads such as driveway, deck footings or other structures.
- No stacked or tiered wall system.
- Not constructed in a problem soil.
For more information, follow the links above, email us or call the Permit Application Center at 703-222-0801, TTY 711.