Create an Office Recycling Program
Follow these simple steps and you can create a recycling program in your office!
1. Designate an Office "Recycling Coordinator." Select someone in the office to oversee your recycling program. Your recycling coordinator will be responsible for arranging collection of recyclables, encouraging employees to recycle and overall monitoring of the recycling program.
2. Arrange for Collection. There are several options to consider for collection. You may contact your waste hauler to arrange collection, designate an employee to deliver your recyclables to the nearest recycling center or contract with your janitorial staff.
3. Get Recycling Bins. Buy new bins for multiple locations in your office, or transform some existing trash cans into recycling bins -- now that's recycling!
4. Location, Location, Location. To generate maximum participation, be sure to place recycling bins in each workstation or office, as well as in central areas such as lunchrooms, lounges and office machine rooms.
5. Make it Easy -- Label the Bins. Clearly label every recycling bin to indicate EXACTLY what items go in the bin, e.g., "Aluminum Cans," "Mixed Paper."
6. Kick-Off the Recycling Program. Announce your new office recycling program through an event or a series of internal emails leading up to the kick-off.
7. Keep Up the Enthusiasm. Create employee recycling incentive programs to keep the momentum going. For example, recognize employees who reduce the company's waste -- "Recycler of the Month." Distribute new waste reduction and recycling tips to spread the recycling message. Also, don't forget to let your customers know!
Article reprinted with permission from the California Department of Conservation.
- Recycling at Work -- Creating a Cost-Effective Recycling and Waste Reduction Program for Businesses
- Nonresidential Recycling and Trash