Property Owner or Managing Company

man with cellphone

All nonresidential buildings (businesses, schools, hospitals, etc.) in Fairfax County are required to recycle mixed paper and cardboard.

If you are the property owner or manager of an apartment or condominium, see the county's Minimum Residential Recycling Requirements.

Responsibilities of Owner or Manager of Nonresidential Property

According to county requirements, it is the responsibility of the property owner or manager to:

♦  Provide a recycling system for their tenants that meets ALL system requirements.

♦  Notify and educate tenants about the recycling system upon occupancy and at least once annually.

♦  Develop a Municipal Solid Waste Management and Recycling Plan and keep it onsite.  It must be available to the county within 30 days of a written request.

Learn about the tenant's responsibilities.


Requirements for New Construction or Changing Use

If you are responsible for new construction or are making a change that requires a site plan amendment, a waste stream calculation worksheet must accompany the first site plan submission to Land Development Services. Call 703-324-5439, TTY 711 for assistance in completing the form. For inquiries regarding the status of a site plan you have already submitted, contact your site plan reviewer.


Contact Fairfax County: Phone, Email or Twitter | Main Address: 12000 Government Center Parkway, Fairfax, VA 22035
Technical Questions: Web Administrator

ADA Accessibility | Website Accessibility
Awards | FOIA | Mobile | Using this Site | Web Disclaimer & Privacy Policy | Get Adobe Reader
Official site of the County of Fairfax, Virginia, © Copyright 2015

Website Feedback Website Feedback    Globe with various flags representing Web site language translations   Language Translations

Return to Graphic Version