Nonresidential Recycling and Trash
All nonresidential properties must recycle cardboard and mixed paper. There are no exceptions and no thresholds. Recycling guidelines for employees, commercial building tenants and property owners and managing companies are available online.
Most businesses hire a collection company to pick up their trash. A second option, however, is to become a permitted disposal company or a commercial cash customer in order to self-haul materials to a county disposal site. Read through the list of Business Categories to learn more.
- FAQs: Trash & Recycling Service for Businesses
- Reduced Refuse Collection Frequency for Approved Commercial Properties
Specialized or Hazardous Waste
Almost any workplace can generate waste that is potentially toxic or hazardous to the environment. Our website has information on: rechargeable batteries, commercial hazardous wastes such as fluorescent light bulbs, as well as electronics and computer recycling. The county also hosts periodic collection events for businesses that generate small quantities of hazardous waste.
- Disposal Companies for Specialized or Hazardous Waste
- Conditionally Exempt Small Quantity Generator Program
- Chapter 109.1 of the Code of the County of Fairfax, VA
- Fairfax County Recycling Program Requirements
- Municipal Solid Waste Management Plan. Call 703-324-5230, TTY 711 to request a copy.
- Waste Stream Calculation Worksheet for Nonresidential Use