Nonresidential Recycling and Trash
All nonresidential properties must recycle cardboard and mixed paper. There are no exceptions and no thresholds. Recycling guidelines for employees, commercial building tenants and property owners and managing companies are available online.
Most businesses hire a collection company to pick up their trash. A second option, however, is to become a permitted disposal company or a commercial cash customer in order to self-haul materials to a county disposal site. Read through the list of Business Categories to learn more.
Specialized or Hazardous Waste
Almost any workplace can generate waste that is potentially toxic or hazardous to the environment. Our website has information on: rechargeable batteries, commercial hazardous wastes such as fluorescent light bulbs, as well as electronics and computer recycling. The county also hosts periodic collection events for businesses that generate small quantities of hazardous waste.
- Disposal Companies for Specialized or Hazardous Waste
- Conditionally Exempt Small Quantity Generator Program
Solid Waste Brokers
Chapter 109.1 of the County Code requires that solid waste brokers wishing to do business in Fairfax County be registered with the Solid Waste Management Program. Any business or individual who knowingly contracts with a solid waste broker that is not registered with the County is in violation of County Code. Solid waste brokers registered to operate in Fairfax County are listed below. The companies listed on this page are properly registered to legally provide broker services in Fairfax County. The county is not offering this list as a recommendation or endorsement. You are encouraged to do your own research in selecting a service provider.
- Rubicon Global, http://www.RubiconGlobal.com
- The O’Keefe Group, http://tog.us.com
- Waste Cost Solutions, http://www.wastecostsolutions.com
- Great Forest, http://www.greatforest.com
- Refuse Specialists, http://www.refusespecialists.com
- Chapter 109.1 of the Code of the County of Fairfax, VA
- Fairfax County Recycling Program Requirements
- Municipal Solid Waste Management Plan. Call 703-324-5230, TTY 711 to request a copy.
- Waste Stream Calculation Worksheet for Nonresidential Use
- Recycling Business and Broker Registration Form