Pink Carts and Helping Hearts
Container Lending Program
Pink rolling carts are available for loan by nonprofit community groups for use in collecting recyclables at local events. To qualify, both the nonprofit group and the event must be located in Fairfax County. Carts are available on a first-come, first-served basis.
About the Carts
- Large, 64-gallon capacity. They are ideal for large-scale events and/or events where a lot of recyclables will be generated.
- 41.5 inches tall, 24 inches from side to side and 27 inches from front to back, including handle. They are similar in size and style to the rolling carts provided by trash collection companies to their customers.
- Bright pink in color. They are a good choice for organizations that use pink as a theme.
- Waterproof. The carts are well-suited for uncovered, outdoor collection areas.
Availability is limited to one borrower per calendar month, and no
borrower may use the containers for two consecutive months. An
application must be approved before the containers will be reserved.
Please print out and
complete an application. You can fax the application to
703-324-3949, Attention: Recycling Program Coordinator; or,
mail it to Fairfax County Solid Waste Management, Attention: Recycling
Program Coordinator, 12000 Government Center Parkway, Suite 458, Fairfax,
VA 22035. If you have any questions, please call 703-324-5230, TTY
Delivery and Use
County staff will deliver the carts to the event site, and at the end of the event will retrieve the collected recyclables and the containers. The borrower is responsible for:
- providing a contact person to receive the carts
- managing the carts throughout the event
- providing proper and sufficient signage and instruction to attendees regarding use of the carts
returning the carts to the pick-up point.
IMPORTANT: The pink carts are to be used for the collection of recyclables ONLY -- not trash. If a borrower uses these carts to collect trash, they may be charged a minimum of $250 to cover trash collection and disposal costs.
Pink Carts are eligible for long-term loan for indoor use only, pending
approval, and ongoing collection service cannot be provided by the
If pink carts aren’t for you, consider borrowing ClearStream® containers.
Pink Carts are also available for individuals, organizations, and businesses to buy from Fairfax County at a price of $60 each. The carts are 41.5 inches tall, 24 inches from side to side, and 27 inches from front to back (including the handle). If you require technical specifications, contact the manufacturer at 1-877-301-CART (2278), TTY 711.
Before buying a pink cart from Fairfax County, please consider the following:
- Delivery is not available. The pink carts must be picked up from the Government Center or our Newington facility, 6901 Allen Park Road in Lorton, Virginia.
- Fairfax County will not provide collection service for these containers (unless you are a sanitary district customer).
Fairfax County will not provide service or repair to these containers.
They become your personal property, and there are no warranties from
If you intend to use a bin or cart to set out recyclables at the curb,
it is your responsibility to be sure that your collection company
agrees to service the container AND that use of a personal container
does not violate your homeowner association codes or covenants.
Payment is accepted via check or credit card. To purchase a cart, call 703-324-5230, TTY 711, Monday through Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. You can also purchase pink carts directly from Cascade in 35-gallon, 64-gallon, and 96-gallon sizes, or a commemorative 3-inch tall miniature size. Use internet search terms “The Pink Cart” to connect directly with Cascade Cart Solutions or call them at 1-877-301-CART (2278), TTY 711.
A note about pink carts: The Solid Waste Management Program purchased 100 pink carts from Cascade Cart Solutions in 2010 through the Recycling Program, which is funded solely by user fees. For each cart, Cascade made a donation of $5.00 to the American Cancer Society to support breast cancer awareness programs. To read more about the nationwide pink cart program, use internet search terms “The Pink Cart.” Participation in the Pink Cart program supports the Fairfax County Vision Elements of Maintaining Safe and Caring Communities, Practicing Environmental Stewardship, Creating a Culture of Engagement, and Exercising Corporate Stewardship.