Flatlick Branch Stream Restoration
Restoration of Flatlick Branch was recommended for implementation via the Cub Run Watershed Management Plan as project CU9214. The Flatlick Branch stream restoration project includes approximately 11,910 linear feet of stream, and was divided into three Phases in order to better facilitate funding and management of the project.
Each phase of the Flatlick Branch stream restoration project design was developed through coordination with Fairfax County Department of Public Works and Environmental Services, the Fairfax County Park Authority and the community. This Watershed Map shows the drainage area of Flatlick Branch along the restoration reach and the location Phase I, II and III of the project. The project is funded through the Fairfax County Stormwater Management Program.
- Restore ecological functions of the stream corridor;
- Improve water quality through the reduction of Nitrogen, Phosphorous and Total Suspended Solids;
- Provide a safe and sustainable stream channel and stream valley for the community;
- Protect property and public utility infrastructure; and
- Create in-stream and riparian habitat for wildlife.
The project will restore the form and function of the stream using a variety of Natural Channel Design techniques. These include:
- Raise the streambed to connect the stream to its floodplain;
- Construct in-stream structures to set the elevation of the streambed, maintain floodplain connectivity and divert water away from banks to reduce in-stream erosion;
- Install reinforced bed material which mimics the native stream substrate to reduce streambed erosion and provide in-stream habitat; and
- Plant native vegetation to stabilize the stream banks and provide food and habitat for wildlife.
Existing Conditions along Flatlick Branch Phase II:
An example of a completed stream restoration project on Wolftrap Creek can be viewed via this Slideshare presentation and this Channel 16 Video. Information on other Fairfax County stream restoration projects can be found here - Stormwater Improvement Projects.
Flatlick Branch Phase I - Construction is scheduled to be complete in October, 2016.
Flatlick Branch Phase II - Construction is scheduled to begin November, 2016. Duration of the construction contract is 454 days.
Flatlick Branch Phase III - Construction is tentatively scheduled to begin September, 2017, and will be dependent on availability of future funding.
Flatlick Branch Phase II Stream Restoration Design
- Overall Site Plan
- Grading Plan Sheet 1
- Grading Plan Sheet 2
- Grading Plan Sheet 3
- Grading Plan Sheet 4
- Grading Plan Sheet 5
- Grading Plan Sheet 6
- Grading Plan Sheet 7
- Grading Plan Sheet 8
For more information, please call 703-324-5500, TTY 711, or email SWPDmail@fairfaxcounty.gov.