Residential Materials: A - B

This page contains items for recycling or disposal that start with the letters "A - B". For a full listing, see the Index of Residential Materials.

Some materials taken to the I-66 Transfer Station or I-95 Landfill Complex are subject to disposal fees or special processing fees. See the online Residents' Facility Guide for information about disposal fees and regulations.
  • Acetone: (See Chemicals, Solvents.)
  • Acid, Muriatic: Also known as "Hydrochloric Acid." See Chemicals, Acid/Alkali.
  • Aerosol Cans/Spray:
    • EMPTY:
      • If it once contained a flammable or hazardous product (i.e., hairspray, pesticide, cleaner), take it to a county Household Hazardous Waste Site. Recycle all others at the curb.  
      • If the contents are flammable or hazardous (i.e., hairspray, pesticide, cleaner), take it to a county Household Hazardous Waste Site. Recycle all others at the curb.
  • Air Conditioning Units: (See Appliances.)
  • Aluminum Cans
    • Empty and rinse. Please flatten to save space.
    • Cans are collected curbside and are accepted at all recycling drop-off centers. Aluminum cans may also be taken to certain Fire and Rescue Stations.  Call 703-246-3801, TTY 711 for a station near you.
  • Aluminum Foil, Pie Tins, etc.:  Clean thoroughly and recycle curbside.  
  • Ammonium Hydroxide: (See Chemical, Acid/Alkali.)
  • Ammunition: Call the Police Non-Emergency Number:  703-691-2131, TTY 703-877-3715.
  • Animal Carcass
  • Animal Waste: Double bag and dispose in regular trash.
  • Antifreeze: Pour into a special container located at the I-66 Transfer Station or I-95 Landfill Complex.
  • Appliances
    • LARGE:
      • Handle refrigerators, stoves, washers, dryers and air conditioners carefully. Avoid damaging tubing and releasing refrigerant into the air. Do not include: gas tanks, propane or refrigerant tanks.
      • If a private company collects your trash and recyclables, contact them to arrange for a special collection.  If you have county trash and recycling service, call 703-802-3322, TTY 711 or schedule the collection online.
      • Important:  Remove all doors from large appliances before setting at the curb. Small children often play inside used appliances and may get trapped.
      • Large, metal appliances are accepted at the White Goods/Metal Recycling Area of the I-66 or I-95 Recycling and Disposal Center. In addition, several nonprofit building supply stores accept donations of new and/or gently used appliances.
    • SMALL:
      • If new or gently used, consider donating it to charity.  If you do choose to dispose of the small appliance in the trash, first remove any batteries that are present. See batteries for more information.  
  • Asbestos: Please contact the I-66 Transfer Station (703-631-1179, TTY 711) or the I-95 Landfill Complex (703-690-1703, TTY 711)  for specific instructions on disposing of asbestos materials.
  • Ashes: After 24 hours have passed, all leftover hot ash material must be thoroughly dampened, cooled, and stored in a metal can that is used solely for ash storage. (Ashes that are two or three days old may appear to be safe, but can still retain enough heat to cause a fire.) After all procedures have been followed, you can place the container out for regular trash collection.
  • Asphalt: (See Inert Materials.)
  • Bathtubs/Toilets/Sinks: If made of cast iron or metal, they can be taken to the White Goods/Metal Recycling Area of I-66 Transfer Station or I-95 Landfill Complex.  If made of porcelain or fiberglass, they can be taken to those facilities for disposal.
  • Batteries
  • Bicycles: May be taken to the I-95 Landfill Complex in Lorton. Bicycles collected at I-95 are donated to Bikes for the World, a nonprofit, charitable organization. Call 703-740-7856 for information about their community collection events. You may also donate your bicycle to another charitable organization.
  • Blood: If it is in liquid form, contact a biohazardous disposal company. (See Home-Generated Medical Waste.)
  • Boats/Cars/Trucks/Motorcycles: Not accepted for disposal. Call a junk dealer or automotive salvage company for curbside collection.
  • Books: In general, the library will accept only popular titles.  Books should be clean and in good condition.  Donations are accepted during open hours at any branch of the Fairfax County Public Library.  For more information, see the corresponding Friends of the Library page.
  • Boxes:  (See Mixed Paper.)
  • Brick: (See Inert Materials.)
  • Brush/Tree Limbs: (See Yard Waste.)
  • Building Materials: (See Construction Debris.) 

See Also:
Materials for Recycling or Disposal

Contact Fairfax County: Phone, Email or Twitter | Main Address: 12000 Government Center Parkway, Fairfax, VA 22035
Technical Questions: Web Administrator

ADA Accessibility | Website Accessibility
Awards | FOIA | Mobile | Using this Site | Web Disclaimer & Privacy Policy | Get Adobe Reader
Official site of the County of Fairfax, Virginia, © Copyright 2015

Website Feedback Website Feedback    Globe with various flags representing Web site language translations   Language Translations

Return to Graphic Version