Residential Materials: R - S
This page contains items for recycling or disposal that start with the letter "R" or "S". For a full listing, see the Index of Residential Materials.
- Radioactive Materials - Call the Department of Public Safety Communications at 703-691-2131, TTY 703-877-3715.
- Railroad Ties - Must be cut in 2-foot lengths. These are accepted at the I-66 Transfer Station and I-95 Landfill Complex for disposal.
- Refrigerant (Coolant):
- Refrigerator (See Appliances.)
- Remodeling Debris (See Inert Materials.)
- Rocks (See Inert Materials.)
- Roofing Shingles - Tar shingles accepted for disposal at the I-66 Transfer Station and I-95 Landfill Complex. (See Asbestos.)
- Scrap Metal - Appliances, lawn mowers, metal sheds, wire fences, etc. Take to Metal Recycling/White Goods Area of the I-66 Transfer Station or I-95 Landfill Complex.
- Sealant - Take sealant for driveways and other surfaces to a Household Hazardous Waste Site. Take empty aerosol cans to a Household Hazardous Waste Site. Recycle other empty metal cans and plastic bottles at the curb.
- Septic Tank - Call Health Department Inspections at 703-246-2201, TTY 703-591-6435.
- Shoe Polish - Dispose in regular trash.
- Sinks (See Bathtubs/Toilets/Sinks.)
- Smoke Alarms - First remove battery. May dispose of smoke alarm in trash or send back to manufacturer. (See Batteries.)
- Sod - dispose in regular trash. (See Yard Waste.)
- Stove (See Appliances.)
- Steel Cans (See Food & Beverage Cans.)
- Styrofoam - Packaging peanuts can be recycled at some stores. Call 1-800-828-2214, TTY 711 for locations. Dispose of other Styrofoam items in trash.
Materials for Recycling or Disposal